Talk

Advanced search

Tantrums

(11 Posts)
Blondey1891 Sat 22-Mar-14 16:45:35

Please advise? We are currently on tantrum no 15 of the day, he is almost 2years old, doesn't really speak much but has a very good understanding!! He is stropping over anything and everything, kicking scream smacking, nothing is working.

joanna1985 Sat 22-Mar-14 17:50:05

I have the same problem with my 18mo who also isn't really talking but understands everything. I just ignore them that's what my midwive advised and its actually helping a bit. He will strop about and go nuts and then eventually come over for a hug. It's so frustrating though!

girliefriend Sat 22-Mar-14 18:01:27

Is he tired?

Dd was a paddy thrower and tiredness made them much worse, however she also had quite severe glue ear. Have you had his hearing checked?

Also I found having routines and rituals in place helped in terms that dd know what to expect and what happens next iyswim?

Blondey1891 Sat 22-Mar-14 18:13:22

We have quite a strict routine, not sure about the ear, did get him checked at the GP the other day and she said one ear was very waxy!!

I don't know what to do with him, I'm exhausted?!! Tried ignoring, putting him in his room, distraction. I don't know xx

TheGreatHunt Sat 22-Mar-14 18:46:00

Mine is like this and it is when she is tired or hungry. Getting down to her level, staying calm and telling her to come to me for a cuddle calms her down. It doesn't mean I give in - well it depends what it is and whether the battle is worth it - but I can see that she is completely overwhelmed by emotion and cannot sort herself out.

Judyandherdreamofhorses Sat 22-Mar-14 19:46:18

Harvey Karp 'The Happiest Toddler on the Block' is great, I you're not too exhausted to read it!

Blondey1891 Sun 23-Mar-14 08:03:31

I'm going to order it from amazon

Judyandherdreamofhorses Sun 23-Mar-14 08:09:06

Great, it's a bit 'American' in tone (not that that's a bad thing!) and I find it really works IF I can find the strength to do it.

Massive 20 month old tantrum yesterday in a museum that he just didn't want to leave. I gritted my teeth and turned away from all the stares and followed the advice in the book, leading to a happy toddler back in his pushchair.

Judyandherdreamofhorses Sun 23-Mar-14 08:10:17

I mean, if you build an interactive exhibit in the form of a huge walk in structure made of old books, you must expect small children to want in stay in it forever!

PolkaDott1 Sun 23-Mar-14 09:00:34

DS is 5 now and this always worked...
Tantrum starts so I would get down to his level and say his name very gently whilst making eye contact and then tell him I love you. It would confuse him a bit then totally diffuse what he was panicking over as he is very loving and wanted to respond to that first. After a big hug and declarations of love on both sides it would give him the breather he needed then we could sort out what his tantrum was all about. Try it.

joanna1985 Mon 24-Mar-14 10:06:16

The worst omes are the middle of the night, my ds had 2 last night...along with a newborn feeding every 3hours.i.am.shattered

He was sleeping well there too i think his teeth must be playing up. Caved in and brought him into my bed, totally stupid i know

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now