Talk

Advanced search

3 year old sudden personality change - help

(10 Posts)
charitymum Sat 22-Mar-14 14:31:47

Can't remember my others doing this. Suddenly really teary at slightest thing; showing lots of separation anxiety; tantrums; starting the why all the time phase.

He is an articulate boy who's always been very placid before. When he's happy and engaged very able, funny and active kid. Just when something happens he doesn't like - including toast being wrong colour - tantrum and uncontrollable screaming.
Is this normal?

Quoteunquote Sat 22-Mar-14 15:38:33

Has anything happened that has unnerved him?

charitymum Sat 22-Mar-14 16:14:08

Do think so. He's been poorly/coldy on and off and his baby brother has been wheezy and into hospital but neither unusual.

He seems stress about nursery but happy when there. Cries a bit beforehand going which is new. Seems obsessed about me not going to work. Wants to be at home with mummy or daddy all time .

Quoteunquote Sat 22-Mar-14 16:24:33

I would have a very close look at what has been going on at nursery.

charitymum Sat 22-Mar-14 16:46:14

That crossed mind but we know key staff really well and have spoken to them about his behaviour there (become a bit more clingy but generally fine); he is always playing happily when we collect him: we've observed him when he doesn't know we are there and he's happy and we've seen him with his friendship groups at recent parties and all good.

Is an onset of tantrums/ separation angst typical at 3? I wonder if he is just whacked and post vital

woollybobs Sun 23-Mar-14 01:05:28

I thought we had got away with the terrible two,s my ds was a placid baby delightful at 2. Turned 3 and is a nightmare! Screams all the time. Want to be with mummy one minutes next he is a big boy and he will do it himself. Tries to argue over everything.

Think its just a phase. A few people I have spoke to said their 3year old is clingy at the moment.

Doinmummy Sun 23-Mar-14 01:08:57

How old is his baby brother? Could he be jealous? Quite normal for him to feel left out but hard to deal with.

evelynj Sun 23-Mar-14 01:32:24

Any new medications? My ds went through a phase of something similar & much worse when on singulair.

charitymum Sun 23-Mar-14 11:50:04

He had been antibiotics - maybe that, being knackered and a phase. He'd been so easy through twos!!!!!

30 min tantrum this morning because we wouldn't let him climb on table and then just like that the most adorable child ever again.

HandbagsandSnotrags Sun 23-Mar-14 17:14:08

I have had 2 of my 3 go from being delightful to screaming, clingy, changeable nightmares at 3. The other I am sure is saving it for her teens!

Nothing triggered it in mine, both recovered now but it was bad at times and def worse if tired / hungry / cold / unwell.

This to shall pass as the saying goes. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now