Talk

Advanced search

Help... 7 yr old ds

(6 Posts)
madasamarchhare Sat 22-Mar-14 10:43:24

Please can anyone offer any advice. Ds going through a bit of a challenging stage. Always been a good boy so this is v difficult for me. He's becoming v defiant at home and a bit of a know it all like to try and tell everybody what to do. This has been going on the last couple of weeks. However been a lot better this last week or so. But teacher tells me he's getting involved in class telling others to do things which have nothing to do with him at all. Do you have any suggestions he has always been a great boy at school in all top groups behaviour never challenging before. I believe this was an isolated couple of incidents yesterday but teacher obv felt need to tell me. I don't know whether he's going through the testosterone surge stage and is trying to assert himself too much. He's always been confident but now it's becoming a bit not nice. Any advice very welcome

MerryMarigold Sat 22-Mar-14 14:16:25

He just needs to learn. Not a big deal. You need to teach him. Address his tone of voice. Do done time okay where he is the other kids and see how he feels when spoken to in that way.

MerryMarigold Sat 22-Mar-14 14:17:42

What? Do some role play...

itiswhatitiswhatitis Sat 22-Mar-14 14:22:05

Probably an age thing I don't think a day goes by at the minute where I don't utter the words "stop getting involved it's nothing to do with you" to my 8 yea old <sigh>

madasamarchhare Sat 22-Mar-14 19:05:43

Thank you for your advice. Yes I do say to him how would you feel, that's not v nice etc etc. I do also feel it's an age thing and another phase that will pass I just felt his teacher was v blunt yesterday and considering he's normally the perfect student I thought it v ott. I will keep going with explaining things to him I think he's also reached the Age where things that were cute when he was little are now bordering rude And I do appreciate he needs to realise that. It's hard when obv i do to know exactly what goes on in class and I do want to support the teacher but at the same time he looked as though he wanted the ground to swallo him on Friday and that made me feel so sad for
Him.

MerryMarigold Sat 22-Mar-14 22:14:54

I think you need to be a bit less precious. He didn't behave perfectly, so the teacher brought it up (sign of a good teacher: don't save it for the 100th offence or parents' evening). You can help him, he can change it. I've stopped believing in 'phases' a bit because sometimes they can just get worse till your child is a teen and totally rude. It is better to deal with things calmly, but to deal with them, without making huge mountains out of them. It's good he felt a bit bad (that's the point of having a conscience after all), so hopefully he won't persist in it and it'll all be over by this time next week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now