Talk

Advanced search

Encouraging reluctant 17.5mo non-walker

(2 Posts)
LovelyWeatherForDucks Fri 21-Mar-14 20:04:23

Hi all

My 17.5mo DS isn't walking yet - I'm not overly worried about it, but I want to help him if I can. He cruises, crawls and stands alone briefly, but can't manage more than a few stumbling steps. He's been doing a few steps for a few months, but hadn't progressed beyond that, and will only try taking a few steps maybe once or twice a day. He'll only do it on his own steam, if I try and stand him up, 9 out of 10 mins he drops to his knees. Equally he doesn't like having his hands held and being helped along. He crawls and bum shuffles, and tends to shuffle with both of his legs bent to the right, so I'm a bit worried his muscle tone is a bit wonky?!

I saw a GP about something else a few weeks ago who said to bring him in at 18mo for referral if no more progress. It's perhaps the lack of progress and unwillingness that is starting to bother me! I feel a bit sad that when we meet his friends, they are all running around and my poor DS is frantically scooting along after them!

Is there anything I can try to help him? I am hoping it is a confidence thing, rather than a physical thing.

TheGreatHunt Fri 21-Mar-14 20:07:24

Take him to the gp again. It might be something like hyper mobility where his ligaments are flexible making it harder to walk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now