Talk

Advanced search

Still not sure if my 5 yr old is right or left handed

(10 Posts)
PJ67 Fri 21-Mar-14 19:29:27

Hi. My son has just turned 5 and will start school in August. He still seems to use both hands and not showing a strong preference. He does kick a football with his right foot however. Has anyone else had this, when did they use one hand more?
Myself and dh are right handed, oldest son left handed, middle son right handed.

pinkyredrose Fri 21-Mar-14 22:46:15

Hr could be ambidextrous?

Sparkle9 Fri 21-Mar-14 22:48:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sooperdooper Fri 21-Mar-14 22:51:50

Does it really matter? I write right handed, but hold a knife and fork left handed and crochet left handed, I wouldn't say I'm truely ambidextrous but some people just don't have a 100% dominant side.

DontCallMeBaby Fri 21-Mar-14 23:01:41

DD didn't really settle until she started school at 4.6 (England - guessing by age/date you're in Scotland?) I always handed her stuff to her right hand just because life's easier if you're a righty, but she did look like she could go either way. I do think starting school tipped her into settling - dog more drawing ,starting to write, seeing others do the same.

PJ67 Fri 21-Mar-14 23:40:30

Yes, we're in scotland so we'll see what happens when he starts school. Interested in the dots in the circle, we'll give that a go. I don't know if it matters or not but I would have thought it was better to write with the same hand as my left handed son holds his pen at a really odd angle so his writing has a certain slant to it. If so done is ambidextrous I imagine their writing would look quite different with each hand.

Mrswellyboot Fri 21-Mar-14 23:56:35

It is important that a child has a dominant hand and they do not switch hands whole writing due to tiredness. On a recent handwriting course we were given a simple test to try.

Put on music and give the child two implements like a drumstick or ruler in each hand. Then ask them to tap the sticks. The hand using the top stick is the dominant hand.

Mrswellyboot Fri 21-Mar-14 23:57:35

Sorry, meant to add that I would be concerned about it yet.

Mrswellyboot Fri 21-Mar-14 23:57:46

Wouldn't

gimcrack Mon 24-Mar-14 16:18:16

DS1 was exactly the same and would switch. I thought he would be a lefty but now he uses his right for writing. He can kick with both feet but prefers his left.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now