Talk

Advanced search

2 year old son won't talk

(10 Posts)
ionamitchell Wed 19-Mar-14 18:35:59

Hello there smile
My son who is 2 has very little language. He says hiya , mum, oh dear and oh no. He also always screams a lot. ( and I mean a lot I'm not exaggerating). He screams if I give him anything to do or if I interact with him. He also eats very little but seems healthy in weight. It physically drains me seeing my boy like this. Is anyone out there going or been through this or am I the only one.

sunnyfriday Wed 19-Mar-14 18:58:33

How is his understanding? Any concerns there?

andreaem Wed 19-Mar-14 19:08:25

I have a son who at the age of two was exactly as ur describing ur son. very small, fussy eater, not talking very much, but what he did say was very well spoken. but he was frustrated, which resulted in him screaming lots. what we did was got him to the docs and they sent him to a pediatric nurse. He now goes to a speech and language unit at a school, he's now 4 1/2 and doing great. it does get better. As for food, I was told just let him eat what he wants as long as he's eating. Hope that helps

ionamitchell Wed 19-Mar-14 19:41:43

His understanding is ok . If I say go and get your juice he would get it .

naty1 Fri 21-Mar-14 11:10:56

You could look into getting hearing checked.
Have you got a 2yr check up you could mention it then ?
I used to get mine to look at picture books and say name of animals/ boat etc lots of singing, reading etc.
Expand on what they say .. Cat - yes it is a cat do you like cats, what noise do they make etc.
A lot of kids do seem to suddenly take off and boys seem to be later.
It may be worth speaking to someone in case he needs speech therapy

TheKnightsThatSayNee Fri 21-Mar-14 11:16:36

Id get him assessed by a speech therapist to make sure there isn't anything wrong. Also get his hearing checked. Could you teach him a few signs to ease his frustration for now? Signs are easier for some children to learn and often spark spoken language development.
Ready steady go games are good for encouraging spoken interaction. Google the hanen programme for tips it's really good.

TheKnightsThatSayNee Fri 21-Mar-14 11:19:00

The hanen programme says not to ask questions just use lots of short simple phrases. And if it was me is stop any tv or screen time for now (that's just me though).

Middleagedmotheroftwo Fri 21-Mar-14 11:23:41

I know a child who was selectively mute until she was 5, but she's now 10 and is absolutely fine. A bit shy in new situations, but otherwise fine.

Two is still young to be worrying about speech IMO, but the screaming sounds odd. Is it angry screaming, like if he doesn't get his own way? Or screaming due to pain or something else?

sunnyfriday Fri 21-Mar-14 11:38:40

at only two (I assume he is rather 24 months old then approaching his 3rd birthday) it could just be that he is only a bit of a late talker.

but it could also be a hearing issue.

or he might also have issues with understanding language.

In any case, I would get him referred for a hearing test to rule out any underlying hearing issue and get him referred to SALT (or self refer- you can also self refer in most areas for SALT) to get his speech and language assessed and take things from there.

TerrifiedMothertobe Fri 21-Mar-14 19:02:44

Ask to be referred at your two yr check by your hv. We are going through process now. Ds1 had about 4 words but full understanding by 2, speech therapist diagnose speech delay of about 8 months but nothing to worry about. He is now 30 months and begging to catch up, still far off his peers but much better.

Boys seem to be a bit slower. It did really worry me, so totally understand your concern. Never hurts to ask I say!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now