Talk

Advanced search

Baby not babbling at 9 months

(7 Posts)
satintaupe Wed 19-Mar-14 14:08:42

My DD is 9 1/2 months and isn't babbling yet; does anyone know if this is still within the normal range for not babbling or should I be worried?

She makes eh and high pitched screech type noises but hasn't said anything like baba, mama, dada yet.

Just in case it's relevant she has been behind with other milestones: she has only just learnt to roll (so isn't crawling yet) and she doesn't point yet, however she has been ok with others, such as sitting. She used to put everything in her mouth months ago but she rarely does now.

Thanks.

purplebaubles Wed 19-Mar-14 14:12:04

DD is 16 months..she only babbles now, will say baba, mama and dada but that's about it really!

They all develop at different rates. DD put everything in her mouth until about 13 months. She didn't crawl until 10 months.

I'm not worried in the slightest! Let her be for the time being. Besides, once she's crawling and walking everywhere, you'll wish for the days she just stayed put grin

satintaupe Wed 19-Mar-14 14:20:17

That's true! Thanks for your response, I will try not to worry then.

ikeaismylocal Wed 19-Mar-14 17:50:41

My ds didn't babble at 9 months, he is now 15 months and he understands instructions in 2 laguges, he has a fair few words (the latest of which is ye-ha!)

I worried about his lack of babbling, I can't remember exactly when it came, but it seemed to be after all his little same aged friends.

I would say that now his communication is advanced when compared to others his age, so it can change really quickly.

ktef Wed 19-Mar-14 18:59:22

My ds1 never babbled. He pointed late too and didn't say a word til he was 2, when within a week he was talking in sentences. Try not to worry (though I did) unless you have other concerns.

naty1 Wed 19-Mar-14 19:15:28

Im not sure they have to be saying recognisable things like dada but should be making speech like sounds
Any ear infections?
Lots of singing and reading.
Im sure it would be fine to check with HV at 1 year check.
Sometimesthey work on 1 thing at a time.

satintaupe Wed 19-Mar-14 20:41:50

Thanks for your replies.

She doesn't make any speech like sounds, so not even ma, ba or da. The closest is a wuh type sound. We talk to her all day long and read and sing to her lots. She looks at our lips while we talk sometimes as though she's trying to work out how we're talking. She used to stick her tongue out (copying us) as a young baby, but hasn't done that for a good few months, I'm not sure if that means anything.

She hasn't had any ear infections and her hearing seems to be fine. There isn't a one year check here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now