Talk

Advanced search

Not knowing colours at 5 years old and other problems...

(3 Posts)
KEGirlOnFire Wed 19-Mar-14 09:30:59

I'm just looking for some advice that I can pass on to a friend who is worried about her DS...

Her DS was at the same CM as my DD and they are about 6 weeks apart in age. Her DS's development was very good in terms of speech, physical development etc and then at the age of 3 there was some trauma in his life. His Father was violent to his Mum and him and was removed from the house. My friend was also PG at the time.

The Father went for various treatments for anger etc but was away from the house for a year, through the birth of her 2nd DC. Unfortunately my friend has now taken the father back. That's when the development of her DS1 nose-dived. He stopped speaking and showed interest in nothing except for the TV.

He started Reception back in September and the school have expressed concern that his speech is quite bad (we had him for the day recently and I struggled to understand what he was saying), but not only that he doesn't know his colours or shapes and bearing in mind he's been there now for half of the first year at school, he is unable to write his name and shows no interest in it at all.

The school have referred him for speech therapy and he has 1-2-1 time with a teacher that may incorporate other support, although my friend doesn't know the detail of what that support is (or hasn't asked... I'm not sure which).

I have no experience of ADHD, Aspergers, Dyslexia etc, but I wonder if there are any triggers here that could be related to one of these issues?

Because of the past situation in the home, the children will be 'kept an eye on' by Social Services and I'm hoping that the Public Nurse team who take over now her DS1 is at school will be looking at this.

But is there anything here that rings any bells with anyone?

Pointeshoes Wed 19-Mar-14 09:58:20

I would of thought it would be more likely to be a speech and language problem, have a look at the Afasic website. They may be able to suggest help. The school should have a SENCO which should organise meetings about his development and put in place strategies to help him within the school, if it's not working then they can contact outside agencies to come in and help in on a more one to one basis. I think play therapy in this situation would benefit him to deal with his emotions as well as speech and language therapy.

Pointeshoes Wed 19-Mar-14 10:00:45

Oh sorry just read he is having speech therapy! Your friend should be having meetings with everyone involved so she knows what is going on.

Giving enough time to the child to answer questions can be helpful to and is part of the communication cycle linked to speech and language.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now