Talk

Advanced search

Preschooler pushing baby brother

(6 Posts)
Tenochtitlan Tue 18-Mar-14 20:05:28

My ds1 (3 yrs) has started pushing around his little brother (18 mths) and looks like he thinks its funny. He doesn't seem to be able to leave him alone. I try not to be a yeller, and attempt to explain to him that it is not a nice thing to do, it hurts his brother and makes him feel sad. I have asked how he would feel if a friend pushed him and he says "sad", but I presume that at this age he can't extend this to empathy for his brother. I guess its fairly standard behaviour for siblings this age, but it is just constant at the moment, you can tell him "no" one minute, and he will be pushing again the next. It's quite hard to bear to see your baby son in tears all the time.

TheGreatHunt Tue 18-Mar-14 21:13:32

Ignore ignore ignore. Seriously. Don't give him the attention, pick up little one, give him a cuddle and tell the eldest that he should play nicely or leave him alone.

Also try not to leave them alone together and show your eldest how to play nicely so he knows what he should do.

Tenochtitlan Tue 18-Mar-14 21:13:43

Is there anyone else going/been through this and how do you deal with it?

Tenochtitlan Tue 18-Mar-14 21:18:49

Yes, I had considered ignoring him, because, to be honest, pushing is a pretty good way for him to get my attention. I haven't given it a go yet though....will try tomorrow. Thanks.

TheGreatHunt Tue 18-Mar-14 21:28:51

My two have been similar and ignoring works. As does telling ds hownhe should behave. Also giving him space - I find my younger one challenging so not fair to expect ds to manage her too (mine are 4&2).

cory Wed 19-Mar-14 09:33:07

Reminds me of my niece, who used to walk up to her brother and give him a sneaky push and then quickly exclaim "accident" before anyone could say anything. The good news is, they grew up devoted to each other.

Just keep an eye on baby brother and comfort him. This too shall pass.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now