Talk

Advanced search

Help! Head Size

(19 Posts)
NickyEds Tue 18-Mar-14 12:09:39

My DS has just had his head measured and it's on the 98th centile- up from 95th at 8 weeks and 90th at birth. He's 12 weeks old and his body is only on the 50 th centile. Developmentally he seems fine, very alert, smiley and chatty but the HV said to take him to GP-she was very insistant that I don't forget-(as if I ever would)and sort of acted like there's something very wrong with my baby.
I couldn't get an appointment to see the GP today- going to have to wait till tomorrow but I'm now worried sick. Has anyone had this?

TheGreatHunt Tue 18-Mar-14 13:00:36

Yes my dd. At a check a few months ago it was 98th centile head, 2nd centile height. She is 2. But my and my husband's family are short and we have big heads. She is well ahead in terms of speech etc So the paediatrician wasn't worried (I did get her checked because of the disparity).

CharityCase Tue 18-Mar-14 13:09:05

Ds was like this- a 27th centile baby with a 95th centile head- I basically gave birth to a chuppa chupp. He is still a bit top heavy aged 3- tall and skinny with a big head but he's perfectly normal ( or at least as normal as a 3 yr old ever is)

Forgettable Tue 18-Mar-14 13:18:35

Do get it checked out if only to get HCPs off your back

One of mine had adisprportionately large heid. He was like a boiled egg on legs as a toddler. Didn't help he was pretty much bald for years, sigh. All in all, a bit of a flincher, hah hah. ( he has grown into his head now, nicely thank gawd)

strawberrybubblegum Tue 18-Mar-14 21:09:31

He's almost certainly absolutely fine, so don't panic.

There's a very serious condition called hydrocephalus, where fluid builds up around the brain, and that causes the head to grow big. That condition really needs to be caught absolutely as soon as possible - days matter - which is why she was so insistent. Do make sure you get to the doctor tomorrow, but don't panic: they check lots of people who are fine to make sure they don't miss the small number who need help.

The little boy I know who was suspected of having it was completely off the centile scale for head size. His mum was sent to hospital to get him checked immediately, but it turned out he was absolutely fine.

kaffkooks Tue 18-Mar-14 22:06:56

Think HV is just playing it safe and your DS is probably fine. My DS was on 9th centile for weight and 98th for head circumference and his head is a funny shape. My brother and I also have the same big, funny shaped head and we are both fine. My DS was slow to get head control, hated tummy time, didn't crawl until 11 months and still isn't walking at 16 months because lugging that huge head round is hard work on a little body. No one has paid any attention, probably because HV in my area has been on sick leave and there is no one to cover for her! I'm not worried as he is bright, alert and developing normally.

exexpat Tue 18-Mar-14 22:09:57

Do you or your DH/DP have big heads? They do tend to run in families. My two DCs always had to have hats in sizes about five years ahead of their ages. Big brains, you know...

But of course get it checked out or monitored to be on the safe side.

WhoAteAllTheCremeEggs Tue 18-Mar-14 22:14:36

Happened with ds at 7-9 month check, i cried at the apt when hv told me to take him to the gp.
He was absolutely fine.

blacktreaclecat Wed 19-Mar-14 06:48:59

Yes, this happened to us. 8 month check, his head circumference had jumped 2 centiles- apparently it is notoriously difficult to measure. They panicked me and we ended up seeing paeds who said he's fine.
He's 21 months now, walking, talking. I have no concerns about his development but he does need size 3-5 hats.

NickyEds Wed 19-Mar-14 08:21:29

Thanks everyone. Called my sister in tears last night when she said "don't you remember- my kids had MASSIVE heads" !! Going to GP today but feel a bit better that he'll make it through another night!
He's 12 weeks and we bought him some sleepsuits with matching hats- sleepsuits fit fine all of the hats are like scull caps.

DavidHarewoodsFloozy Wed 19-Mar-14 08:36:55

Don,t want to diminish your worries at all, but my youngest brother had a huge head. Every visit to the HV and she'd have the measuring tape out.

He just has a bucket head, he grew into in the end. He's a big brainiac if thats any consolation! grin

MrsEllsmore Wed 19-Mar-14 08:42:47

My hv worried me about this the other day, turned out she had marked his head size at 3 weeks on the chart instead of 3 months and actually his head size is completely normal. Grr lots of worry for nothing! Get him checked out but add others have said it its probably nothing to worry about.

Forago Wed 19-Mar-14 08:47:27

I have 3 boys and they all had above average head xircs every time measured and none of those hats that came with sleepsuits EVER fit. I have always had to buy they hats bigger than their age so the 3y old wears the age 6 ones from H&M and the 9y old who is a little short is, wears the age 12 ones. I promise you they all look completely normal and no one has ever commented on their head sizes once they stopped being measured

NickyEds Sat 22-Mar-14 19:55:21

So GP said that DS seemed absolutely fine and that it is probably familial. He then went on to refer DS to paediatrcian anyway! He's going next week. aaagghh!

Gremlingirl Sat 22-Mar-14 20:06:30

Another "don't panic" from me - DS, who is now four, has the most enormous head and wear hats meant for teenagers. He's absolutely fine, apart from looking a little odd when naked, with his enormous head and little body, and nearly having his ears taken off by over the head removal of certain tops!

Jinty64 Sat 22-Mar-14 20:50:06

My three all have big heads. It was first noted in ds1 when he was born by c/s. the midwife took one look and said well, there was no way he was going to come out by the usual route.

SimLondon Sat 22-Mar-14 21:11:54

I too have done the worrying about head-size, DD body/weight less than 9th centile and head 50th - i googled hydrocephalus and paniced, but all was fine - I think that there are other symptoms with hydrocephalus, like very obvious symptoms with the eyes.

Davinadivine Sun 23-Mar-14 07:55:35

I had this with my 8 week old and he had an ultrasound on his soft spot. He's fine, had no indicators other than a large head

brettgirl2 Tue 25-Mar-14 07:05:56

dd2 91st and 25th at 3 weeks. Her head is still massive at 2, she takes after dh poor little thing. Good luck, I was told that they only worry if it goes up further ifyswim wheras it sounds like your lo's head is growing on the line.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now