Talk

Advanced search

Sudden separation anxiety in 3 year old

(5 Posts)
separationangst Fri 14-Mar-14 16:07:23

My 3 year old DD has very recently started becoming distressed when I leave her at preschool, to the point where they phoned me to collect her early today as she was so upset. She started in January and has always been happy to be left before this week but has cried for the last 4 days. There have been no major changes in her life, DH has had to go away with work a couple of times this year for 4/5 days but the last time was a few weeks ago and he shouldn't have to go again.

Has anyone else's child suddenly developed this anxiety and is there anything that helps them get over it or is it just a phase that will pass in time?

Goldmandra Fri 14-Mar-14 16:36:46

Is she distressed about being left anywhere else?

I'f not I would ask the pre-school if they can shed any light on it.

separationangst Fri 14-Mar-14 16:42:50

She got a bit upset at gymnastics today too, I had to go and sit in when usually she's happy for me to wait in the cafe. I've spoken to the preschool teachers and they said there's been no reason that they can see for the upset, DD herself says she was crying because she wanted mummy to come back.

Goldmandra Fri 14-Mar-14 16:53:24

That's reassuring in that it's about leaving you rather than being at the pre-school.

You could give her something of yours to look after at pre-school or perhaps a top that you've been wearing that will have a comforting smell. You could also consider reducing the length of her sessions for a while so she can come home before she gets upset.This is often most successful if the child starts part way through the session rather than coming home early as there is then no temptation to try to persuade them to stay because they are "doing so well".

separationangst Fri 14-Mar-14 17:00:35

That might be an idea, giving her something from home to have as a comfort, I'll try that on monday, thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now