Talk

Advanced search

16 month old : What words can yours say?

(21 Posts)
babygirlisla Thu 13-Mar-14 19:35:49

Curious to know what other 16 month olds are saying.
I have read a few "MIlestones" and at this age they say 3-4 words but my lg seems to be saying a lot ... she even strings words together like "Where you Daddy" & "There he is" she also does 20 (ish) animal noises and actions and seems to repeat many of the words I say to her ... Is she advanced or are these milestones a little vague ..?
Thanks in advance for your opinions x

Emubaby Thu 13-Mar-14 19:55:49

I would say she's advanced.
My dd 16 months says about 20-30 words but not really stringing words together yet. Starting to do animal noises (although most things tend say woof!) She names some simple body parts.
Every child develops at different rates though, I would try not to get too hung up in the 'milestones' in books/online.

AHardDaysWrite Thu 13-Mar-14 19:59:09

DS didn't have any words until 19m, then didn't put two words together until he was 2. From then his language just exploded and now at 3.5 his nursery think his talking is very advanced (today he told me his toy box had "compartments" for different toys in - no idea where he's learnt that word!). So I'm not sure it matter much, as long as they're saying some words by age 2.

PandaFeet Thu 13-Mar-14 20:06:17

Mine hardly says anything.

She says goggy and whats that. She says oooooh a lot. And does lots of very serious talking as if shes having a good old natter with us, but no actual words.

My eldest was talking sentences at this age.

OhNoYouExpedidnt Thu 13-Mar-14 20:19:43

Mine can count to 12. Knows all 26 phonic sounds. He knows the name of pretty much any everyday object and says it. He will put 3 words together sometimes but mostly 2 words. Gone mummy, up mummy etc. He knows the animal sounds for about 30 animals and can sing songs like saying all day long at the end of wheels on the bus.

Children all progress at different levels. I don't see him as particularly advanced. He has a great memory which helps his learning but I don't expect him to be any brighter than any other child when he reaches school age. I don't teach him. He learned to count from Numtums, I didn't even realise he could.

cheerypip Thu 13-Mar-14 21:14:09

OhNoYouExpedidnt: wow - that sounds amazing. I'm not sure I know 30 animal noises.

OP - my just 17 month old doesnt have any proper words yet although lots of "chatting" and different sounds. I remember his big sister started with real words about 17 months either, but no cause for concern now. I think they all develop differently, but does sound like your little one is ahead of the curve!

SpottyTeacakes Thu 13-Mar-14 21:17:33

My ds says mum and dad and that's it. Dd was talking properly by 18 months and at 3.5 comes out with the best things! She's good at speaking but I wouldn't say it's advanced, most of her friends were the same. It's nice when they can finally communicate!

slightlyconfused85 Thu 13-Mar-14 22:06:33

Mine can say about 20 words: mama, daddy, shoe, birdie, chair, hiya, bye bye, down and a few others. She responds to things like 'fetch your shoes' 'give mummy a kiss' 'sit down' and she can point to her eyes, nose, tummy and toes if you ask her. I think her ubnderstanding is much greater than her vocab. She doesn't say sentences at all yet but I think she is doing fine.

PandaFeet Thu 13-Mar-14 22:14:36

Mine can point to her tummy toes nose head and can dance on command. grin

But she cant really follow instructions. I am getting worried reading all these.

MiaowTheCat Fri 14-Mar-14 08:34:44

At that age - not many, but she'd fully mastered NOOOOO!!!! (And melodramatically yelling HELP in the middle of the high street in town)

Suddenly took a complete leap forward about a fortnight after she cracked walking and now I'd put her language as pretty advanced compared to her peers.

DontWannaBeObamasElf Fri 14-Mar-14 09:02:22

She understands well but has no words. Her motor skills are advanced and she's not long started babbling again after stopping for a while. Lots of ba ba, wa wa, guh, occasional ma and da sounds.

She'll get there. She follows instructions, holds her arms and legs up to get dressed and lifts her feet when she sees shoes and holds her arm out when she sees her jacket.

They're all so different. My older sister was 2 before she spoke.

DontWannaBeObamasElf Fri 14-Mar-14 09:04:51

Pandafeet I'd say that if she dances and points to body parts on command then she's following instructions. LittleElf only points to us to get our attention and points to whatever food we're eating because she wants it. She won't point at things to show us, she'll just hold it up or take it to us.

MiaowTheCat Fri 14-Mar-14 11:59:44

DD1 wasn't pointing at that age - was worrying myself about it and then the little bugger pointed at the biscuit I was eating, opened her gob and pointed into her open gob a month or so later!

I've long since given up worrying about millstones (intentional typo)!

DontWannaBeObamasElf Fri 14-Mar-14 12:18:35

Haha Miaow our kids sound so similar. I was eating Nutella yesterday and she was so determined to get some that she used both index fingers to point at the spoon!

babygirlisla Fri 14-Mar-14 15:39:35

Thanks for your replies

Like most say I guess they all develop as and when they are ready so just encourage the good things she does and help her to keep on learning as long as she enjoys it

Lovely to hear what your little ones do

X

GiraffesAndButterflies Fri 14-Mar-14 15:43:44

DontWannaBe - you were eating Nutella with a spoon? I like your style grin

DontWannaBeObamasElf Fri 14-Mar-14 16:02:44

Is there any other way, Giraffes? I'm a mother, I have to lead her in the right directions wink

ikeaismylocal Fri 14-Mar-14 18:38:38

My ds is 14 months so a couple of months off 16 months.

He doesn't have a huge amount of words, he can say

Mamma
Pappa
ish (fish)
Titta (Swedish for look)
Wow
ja (Swedish for yes)
Oh no!
nej (Swedish for no)
Num num (Swedish for yum yum)
där (Swedish for there)
brum brum
tuf tuf (train sound)

he can make the animal sounds for a:

dog
pig
cow
snake

I worry that his language is not as advanced as others his age, dp's family love to tell us how dp was speaking in scentances at 13 months old. I do wonder if it is because ds is bilingual, he understands both English and Swedish and he uses some signs. He can also do the actions to lots of songs.

DontWannaBeObamasElf Fri 14-Mar-14 19:13:36

Oh, I've just remembered that she snorts like a pig and moves her mouth like a fish. I've taught her how to sniff like a dog but she just holds her face up to mine when she does it.

jenniferturkington Fri 14-Mar-14 19:18:47

My 17 month old sounds similar to your dd. my dd1 was talking even more than this at the same age, my ds hadn't even muttered a single word by this age. They are all different, and aside from where there are speech & language problems I suspect it all evens out quite quickly.

OhNoYouExpedidnt Fri 14-Mar-14 22:50:23

We have had to branch out to the likes of Alpaca in the animal sounds as we were running out!

For the record they make a kind of squeeking laugh sound.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now