Talk

Advanced search

15 month old not walking

(12 Posts)
OneMoreCupOfTea Wed 12-Mar-14 17:22:04

I'm getting quite upset that my 15 mth old is not walking, she sat at 6mths and crawled at 9mths. She can cruise and walk with her walker but she won't walk with her hand held, doesn't want to stand independently and prefers to knee shuffle. All her friends, even some who are 2 mths younger, are walking. I just feel like she is getting left behind and wondering what to do? Anyone in a similar position or with advice?

Dwerf Wed 12-Mar-14 17:25:04

There will probably be someone along with more medically based advice soon. Mine were all wildly different ages when they walked. My eldest was 9 months old, two were a year old and my lazybum daughter was 18 months. She has no SN, she just didn't want to.

neontetra Wed 12-Mar-14 17:28:08

My dd was the same, learned quickly at 15 and a half months. In all other respects she seems developmentally on track. Try not to worry. It is frustrating, though!

Gatekeeper Wed 12-Mar-14 17:30:06

neither dd or ds walked until exactly 16 months; both idle buggers then and not much has changed now aged 11 & 9 smile

petalunicorn Wed 12-Mar-14 17:35:09

2 of mine walked at 18 months and 20 months. There is nothing to worry about if all other development is normal.

pictish Wed 12-Mar-14 17:37:18

My ds2 didn't walk till nearly 18 months. 9-18 months is considered as being within the average. Try not to worry.

TheKnightsThatSayNee Wed 12-Mar-14 17:46:11

At 18 months they generally do a few tests to makes sure there's is no other reason such as bad hips. But that's just a precaution. Children develop at different rates and in a couple of months your dd will be running around exactly the same as the others.
No one will ever say 'well she's 23 but she walks like a 22 year old'.

BackforGood Wed 12-Mar-14 17:57:48

Very much still within "normal" developmental range. smile

OneMoreCupOfTea Wed 12-Mar-14 18:05:47

Thanks for the replies, I think it just stresses me out when we meet up with friends and they are walking/ running around and she is not. I'm trying to encourage her but she does not seem bothered, think I will try and chill out a bit more.

Inkspellme Wed 12-Mar-14 19:01:57

My first walked at 13 months. my second at 18 months. When my first began walking she def took longer to gain more confidence, balance, slopes, turning etc. It probably took about a couple of weeks before she stopped falling over regularly. With my second he started walking at about 11am and by 1.30pm was running confidently, turning, doing stairs - the works. Different kids, different way of developing.

mummy1973 Wed 12-Mar-14 19:29:10

Perfectly normal. Mine were 22 and 20 months so on the late side! However they were ahead on speech and fine motor skills as they spent son long on their bottoms grin

MostWicked Wed 12-Mar-14 19:54:51

Stop comparing her to other people's children.
It will cause you no end of unnecessary stress.
She is unique, let her find her own way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now