Talk

Advanced search

Emotions of a NEARLY two year old. Anyone?

(8 Posts)
littleraysofsunshine Wed 12-Mar-14 13:28:22

Dd2 is two in May. But with the teething of molars and just general other triggers some days (tiredness being the main one) she has these awful moments of rage, screaming, tears, and just doesn't stop to try and talk bless her. When I calm her & and say talk to mummy not scream, she'll then say. But she gets a bit beside herself and on the days where I'm lacking patience I tend to shout ;(

The past few months have emotional as I have a three yo, dd2 and six week old. So tensions can run high.

Anyone else reaching the before "terrible twos" (I hate this term as it's very inaccurate! Children's moods alter to development not age... And carries on after two into threenager spells lol wink

littleraysofsunshine Wed 12-Mar-14 20:11:40

?

WhoAteAllTheCremeEggs Wed 12-Mar-14 20:16:43

My son has had tantrums since 14 months.
they come and go, sometimes he has worse weeks, then will be chilled for months. I always let him just have it out with himself and remove him from harm if I need to.
He will also be 2 in May.

elvislives2012 Wed 12-Mar-14 20:20:21

Yup! Having this ATM! DD is 17 months and think she gets frustrated when she can't do what she wants or say what she wants. Had an epic one yesterday lasting 1/2 hour. Couldn't do anything. Wouldn't let me touch her. In the end I made her safe and left her to it. She ended up coming to find me to tantrum at me then I put her favourite programme on and pretended that I was really interested in it, she ended up joining me for a little cuddle.

PenelopeChipShop Wed 12-Mar-14 20:22:01

Definitely, my son is 2 in June and many a time I have questioned my parenting or blamed myself for his tantrums but I think we all need to remember they are normal, it's part of being a toddler! I doubt sang of my advice would benefit a mum of three as you've obviously been there before... But I my 'best' days I get down next to him and say with empathy, something simple like 'oh dear you're feeling cross. IWW all feel cross sometimes. Why don't we do something nice like <fill in blank with whatever might work!>

On other days I'm less patient but usually distraction is the best method.

WhoAteAllTheCremeEggs Wed 12-Mar-14 20:31:31

I do that elvis! yesterday ds threw himself down in the park and I sat myselt down and started reading hes Thomas the tank engine book, his noseyness got the better of him he had to come look too.
My friend starts drawing a picture if he strops at her house, she doesnt invite him to help just does it in a place he can see and he cant stop himself going to have a nose and join in.

AnotherMonkey Wed 12-Mar-14 21:25:10

Definitely - my DD is the same age as yours OP and just the same as you describe. It can be tough!! Congratulations on your new LO smile

MiaowTheCat Thu 13-Mar-14 12:02:52

DD1 started at about 13 months - she's getting less "WANT TO DO THAT!" type tantrums now and more of the "oh my gawd my banana broke it's the end of the world - don't even LOOK at me mummy because that is just not on" hysteric-fests.

I just try my best to ignore and stay calm... talking to her just provokes another burst of outrage!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now