Talk

Advanced search

has your baby rushed through their milestones and what came of it?

(15 Posts)
Nareno Tue 11-Mar-14 22:18:04

So, I was always very dismissive of milestones and didnt think they were worth considering as every child is different and they all get there in the end....well, er, that was before my own baby started rushing through his, and I admit i now can't help but find myself somewhat fascinated by his journey. He was very alert from the off, could support his neck early, smiling responsively by 2 weeks, sitting unsupported by 4 months, crawling by 5.5 months, and has just turned 6 months this week and is pulling himself up on furniture, sitting back on his knees and doing strange balances that makes me wonder if hes going to walk fairly soon. Does anyone else have a similar experience? He was 2 weeks overdue, so that likely accounts for some of it, or maybe its just a boy thing, the other babies I know are girls. Hope I dont get booed off mumsnet for this, just that I cant talk to my other mummy friends as they start comparing and worrying that theirs are not progressing fast enough, which actually is not the case, they all seem fine to me. Anyway, I would be interested to know what happened with other babies that did stuff early, cause ds does have soem more difficult aspects too, is very strong willed, excitable and howls every bedtime even though cosleep and bf to sleep, oh and dont get me started on the wrestling match that is nappy and clothes changing....

mostlyconfused Wed 12-Mar-14 01:21:48

My dd was always ahead of her milestones. Was walking at 10 months and new colours, shapes, alphabet by 16 months for example. At her 27 month check up, the health visitor said she had the language of a 4 year old. I'm just so proud of her! As you said, everyone child is different. I'm sure once she starts school, she'll be just like everyone else.
On the other hand, she was a nightmare to potty train. I knew she understood what she had to do and just won't do it! I found this very frustrating.
My mum is convinced she is some kind of child genius but I wouldn't go that far!
Just be proud and enjoy it. And don't be afraid to brag ever now and then!

GoodnessIsThatTheTime Wed 12-Mar-14 01:53:53

I don't think physical milestones are related to intelligence at all. I know doctors who walked/talked late etc.

furlinedsheepskinjacket Wed 12-Mar-14 01:59:00

the boys I knew who walked early were much slower with their language development

enjoy the stages but don't read too much into it

dobedobedo Wed 12-Mar-14 01:59:13

Ds was walking from 6/7 months. Very early! I was convinced he would therefore be a talented athlete or something. He didn't talk until he was almost 4 though, so naturally I thought he'd be more sporty and not very good at school.

He's nine now. Absolutely crap at any type of sport, bless him. Would trip over his own shadow. Does fantastically well in school though.

I think in the end, when they reach baby milestones, is not that important. It's just exciting or interesting at the time, but it's not a sign of things to come!

antimatter Wed 12-Mar-14 02:10:38

My dd like your ds pulled herself up at 6.5 months and started cruising. I wish I encouraged he more for crawling as apparently it is an important stage in child's development (brain development).
However she also was like mostlyconfused dd, colours by 12 months, alphabet by 18, I started teaching her to read after she turned 2 using flashcards and she really enjoyed it from then. She had reading age of 8 at 4.5. Now she is fastest reader I know (I think she developed her own fast reading technique). Doing very well at school and soon to be doing her gcse's. Love of reading I started resulted in her being v.good at humanities.

What you will experience is joy at finding what your ds is good at - it may take a while to find out smile

Despite being an early developer my dd never wanted to take sports further, but is fairly good at it.

my2bundles Wed 12-Mar-14 14:29:26

By school age you cannot tell who hit each milestone first/last/middle. baby milestones have no effect what so ever on future development.

Wurstwitch Wed 12-Mar-14 14:36:20

Dd2 couldn't walk unaided until in between yr r and yr 1. She has an iq of 142.

My child with the earliest milestones (walked and talked before 1) has the lowest iq of the three. And ADHD.

Physical milestones are interesting, but are not in any way linked to intellectual development. Some babies who walk early will read fluently at three. Others not until 'late' (whatever late is, culturally speaking).

But child development is fascinating.

soontobeslendergirl Wed 12-Mar-14 14:54:17

My brother walked at 8 months (as did his grandson) and according to mum, all the babies in our family walked before a year (my two went past it by a week and she was devastated grin ) We are not a family with any particular sporting prowess.

FreckledLeopard Wed 12-Mar-14 14:55:55

DD sat up early, crawled early and walked at 10 months. She's now almost 13, not sporty at all and not discernibly different in any way from any of her peers. Sorry to burst your bubble!

Jsa1980 Wed 12-Mar-14 15:01:32

My DS was crawling before six months, crusing at 7 but now at 10 months shows no sign of walking unaided. He can get about far quicker by crawling. They are all fascinating whenever they learn something new.

Must admit I was quite envious of people who's baby would stay in one place where mine was rolling around the floor at four months.

Nareno Wed 12-Mar-14 15:01:46

Yes its funny to think of these early crawlers and walkers waiting ages to start talking, I suspect that might be the case with my ds, as both my partner and I are dyslexic and I was also a late talker. Still I'm enjoying seeing such a little baby be so physical and so obviously enjoying his new skills, cutest thing is when he wakes in the morning and up springs his little face (sleeps on front) and sometimes if im really lucky he lays his cheek against mine for a few seconds, before all fun begins...

brettgirl2 Wed 12-Mar-14 17:46:48

dd1 crawled at 26 weeks (to the day), turned over at 3 months, pulled self up b4 7 months. She always seemed livelier and dare I say it naughtier-looking than the other babies. She's now a fairly angelic looking, normally behaved but fiesty 5 year old although is very good at climbing etc and likes playing with boys (and girls).

She started talking latish (1st word 15 months) but accelerated really quickly once she started.

It's all normal and some girls are also like it believe me!

Theas18 Wed 12-Mar-14 18:34:37

Interesting!

I do wonder if babies progress one area of development at a time mostly... Mine were average/late re walking etc but blimey they could talk!

They are now (teens/adults) not really sporty (DS is a bit) but they are still talkers and big thinkers. However, I don't underestimate the influence of parental abilities , which are are heavily skewed that way too.

MiaSparrow Wed 12-Mar-14 20:52:50

DD hit all the milestones early: very alert baby, crawled at six months, first steps at 10 months, was talking in sentences at 18 months and pretty much fluent by two. (HV at the 2 year check said jokingly I ought to put her on the stage). Now at three, she's still incredibly bright and very creative, but can be very naughty with it. Doesn't listen. Doesn't join in. In her own little world, etc. Lord knows what she's going to be like starting pre-school. hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now