Talk

Advanced search

Should older babies/toddlers react to people crying?

(4 Posts)
ikeaismylocal Tue 11-Mar-14 19:54:09

Inspired by another thread. My ds is 14 months old and he doesn't cry or look concerned if other people (toddlers or adults) cry.

I was sure he was supposed to reflect emotions, but he doesn't seem bothered at all he just looks at the person crying and then continues what he was doing.

His social skills are great apart from this, he has some words, has pointed for a long time, he makes himself understood very easilly, he plays peekaboo, gives cuddles, points to noses and follows instructions.

Does he just lack empathy? should I be teaching him about emotions by looking at books or just accept that he's not a sensertive sort of guy?

GotMyGoat Wed 12-Mar-14 11:00:52

Some adults don't know how to react when people cry and just get on with life - perhaps your ds is very emotionally intelligent?

I know my daughter was always very concerned with other babies crying, would join in sometimes just for the fun of it - give it a few more months and see what happens, think it is something that develops as with everything.

ZuleikaD Wed 12-Mar-14 14:25:00

No. Proper empathy doesn't develop until at least 4.

deelite72 Wed 12-Mar-14 14:43:01

Oh don't worry. Be glad! Your baby is a totally normal baby and hasn't been through the school of hard knocks yet. Just wait until nursery. It all kicks in around 4 as Zuleika said. Emotional intelligence shows itself later.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now