Talk

Advanced search

Quiet time when naps have stopped

(8 Posts)
Annie456 Tue 11-Mar-14 13:53:52

How realistic is it to impose some quiet time into DS (2.5) routine now that he has given up daytime naps? He's a real ball of energy and doesn't stop until about 4pm when he really crashes (but still doesn't sleep). I'm a SAHM with a 4mo too and to be quite honest I can't handle 12 hour days without a break so I take him up to his room, read him a couple of stories and then tell him everyone is having quiet time so he can read / play etc. ever so often he will fall asleep but usually just plays / reads. He fights it for the first 5-10 mins and I always wonder if it's wrong but I really need that time out (and think he does too!)
He's happy enough once settled and will play for an hour. Is this realistic? (Fwiw I hear lots of yawning coming from his room even when he doesn't nap!)

louloubelle Tue 11-Mar-14 14:05:20

Mine have all napped til past 4 yo, but the ones that have grown out of it have an hour doing "quiet time" in their room so the others can nap. Reading, colouring, how about about a story CD to listen to? My eldest stopped at about 8 and now reads with us or does homework at the weekend....

poocatcherchampion Wed 12-Mar-14 18:49:09

we will def be implementing this when dd1 stops napping. she is 2 now but likes her sleep so hopefully a good while longer yet.

littleraysofsunshine Wed 12-Mar-14 21:54:49

Watching with interest. I try quiet time with dd1 whilst dd2 and ds nap

ZuleikaD Thu 13-Mar-14 09:50:03

We do naps with ours until school age, but I childmind a 4yo who doesn't nap and she has an hour of quiet time. We use a gro-clock just like with the nappers.

DoNotDisturb Thu 13-Mar-14 09:54:03

When mine outgrew naps I implemented film hour. They snuggle down under a quilt on the settee and watch a DVD. Sometimes they'd fall asleep in the beginning but even after that it meant they had an hour of chilling and I had an hours peace otherwise I'd go mad.

My now nearly 6 year old still demands it on a weekend sometimes grin

I wouldn't feel bad. You do what gets everyone through the day in as happy a way as possible. Plus if he's crashing at 4 it might be nicer for him to chill at 1 and stop the crash.

Good luck.

my2bundles Thu 13-Mar-14 10:37:40

I know alot of poeple dont like TV but 40 mins a day for quiet time is not going to harm them if its age appropriate.

Annie456 Tue 18-Mar-14 18:55:24

Thanks for messages, didn't realise there we're any replies, sorry!! I do use tv but I tend to do it from 4.30-5pm while cooking dinner. He's got a little better at accepting his quiet time but always asks me not to shut his gate (which I need to do) so I feel like I'm locking him in! Ah fun times these toddler years! X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now