Talk

Advanced search

Should I Be Worried?

(13 Posts)
Bazoo23 Tue 11-Mar-14 12:31:39

My little girl is 15 months this week and very advanced with her speech and understanding.
However she has always been a little late hitting her physical milestones.
Sitting - 8 months
Standing with support - 10 months
Standing unaided - 13 months etc
She walks pushing a walker and holding one finger. She has taken one step forward a few times too.
She will stand fine but doesnt seem interested in walking independantly at all! Should I be concerned?

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Tue 11-Mar-14 12:55:08

Sounds fine to me. My dh didn't attempt to walk until he was eighteen months according to DMil and he's fine!

HolidayCriminal Tue 11-Mar-14 12:58:42

I wouldn't be worried. Mine were miles ahead with physical stuff & behind in speech & comprehension (but have turned out fine anyway).

McFlurry Tue 11-Mar-14 12:59:46

That timeline is pretty much the same as my DD who only walked independently at 18 months and hasn't sat down since

Apparently she takes after DPs side of the family who were all late walkers.

oohdaddypig Tue 11-Mar-14 13:01:13

All sounds absolutely normal to me too!

DontWannaBeObamasElf Tue 11-Mar-14 13:07:09

My almost 16 month old has the gross and fine motor skills of an 18-19 month old but she's behind in speech and communication.

Bazoo23 Tue 11-Mar-14 16:30:58

and in true toddler style she has just stood up and casually taken 5 steps !!

ShoeWhore Tue 11-Mar-14 16:35:29

grin I love it!

Fwiw 14-15 months is average for walking. If they get to 18 months and still not walking then you might be a bit concerned but I think it's rare to intervene before 2.

None of my dcs walked before 18months and one didn't until 21 months - he's really sporty now!

Ferguson Tue 11-Mar-14 17:35:24

Our DS didn't walk till 18 months, but he was quite tall and waited till he could do it without falling over or bumping into things.

Fuzzymum1 Wed 12-Mar-14 11:26:37

Only one of my three boys was walking at 15 months - they were all early talkers. DS1 walked at 17 months, DS2 at 18 months and DS3 at 14 months.

Katnisscupcake Thu 13-Mar-14 20:34:15

Dd didn't walk until 18 months but was sitting doing puzzles at 6 months. So clearly didn't feel the need to move.

She's now in reception, one of the youngest but according to her teacher, the brightest in the class.

I know that they will all level out in the end but in dd's case her mental part of the brain developed before her physical side I guess. She is still learning to hop and can't yet skip!! Don't worry at all smile

neontetra Thu 13-Mar-14 20:41:04

DD, now nearly 2, didn't walk till 15.5 months. In other regards she seems, if anything, to be slightly ahead of the developmental average at the moment. Try not to worry (though i know from experience that worrying is inevitable). I was a similarly latish walker myself, and walk semi-obsessively as a hobby now!

neontetra Thu 13-Mar-14 20:44:46

Mean by this, am semi-obsessed with doing big hikes around the countryside, rather than walking around my house semi-obsessively!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now