Talk

Advanced search

How stop DS shouting

(5 Posts)
confusedofengland Mon 10-Mar-14 18:24:28

DS2 is 3 next month. He has a fairly severe speech delay (has about 40 words now) for which we are seeing SALT.

The issue is this: DS does tend to shout a lot (either his words or just sounds). He does it when he is excited or when he is trying to get people to understand him. He seems to do it more when out & about than at home. Sadly, it makes him stand out from other DC, in a negative way. A couple of times, I have seen a child cover their ears to his shouts (both times the child was a year or two older than DS) sad

Does anybody have any ideas how I could stop DS from shouting? I try to tell him there's no need to shout & also say 'shh' & put my finger to my lips, but this doesn't always work. Also, am I right in thinking this is probably linked to his speech delay?

Ferguson Mon 10-Mar-14 18:31:41

Has his hearing been checked, as he might think he NEEDS to shout?

Might depressed hearing also contribute to speech delay, though I guess SALT would have explored that?

confusedofengland Mon 10-Mar-14 18:40:23

Oh yes, sorry, I forgot to mention, he did have glue ear for about 8 months, but when we went for a hearing test a couple of months ago it wasn't present, but they said it could come & go at any time (so I don't know if he has it ATM, iyswim)

HolidayCriminal Mon 10-Mar-14 18:59:24

sometimes whispering works, you keep whispering and insist you can't understand them unless they speak quietly too (make it into game)

I was going to suggest what Holiday says but was beaten to it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now