Talk

Advanced search

potty training

(4 Posts)
ElinElin Mon 10-Mar-14 12:56:33

My ds is 2 years and 9 months old. I tried potty training for just over a week around Christmas time. I let him wear pants instead of nappies and explained to him to let me know when he needs to go. I also put a sticker chart and gave him a sticker when he went to the toilet. However he failed to tell me 9 times out of 10 and in the end became a bit anxious and reluctant to go to the toilet so I thought I would put it on hold for a bit maybe he just wasn't ready. Now he is getting closer to 3 I am thinking I need to try again but he is not showing any signs of wanting to go to the toilet. He sometimes tells me when he has done a poo so I can change his nappy but not always. Any ideas?

nw0401 Mon 10-Mar-14 23:18:41

I potty trained ds1 just before he turned 2 - we'd just bought a house that we fully refurbished so I wanted to get him trained then any 'accidents' were at the old house! He couldnt really talk at the time and wasnt showing many signs but I got him a frog potty, put it in the middle of the room on some old towels, and let him run around with no pants on. He soon clicked on that he needed to go on the potty when he needed a wee and by 2 he was telling me he needed a wee to take him to the toilet.

Id say wait for warmer weather and let your son run around with no pants outside. Put a potty nearby and direct him to it when he needs to wee. If he has an accident tell him it should have gone in the potty. Im sure it must feel strange feeling wee running down the legs when theyre used to nappies! I think thats what made my ds1 start using the potty quickly anyway.

Keep at it - you'll get their eventually :-)

ZuleikaD Tue 11-Mar-14 07:00:51

Now it's warmer let him run around without any trousers or pants on. If he's going to get it it'll be within a couple of days, if he's not, try later.

BikeRunSki Tue 11-Mar-14 07:06:25

I agree with Zuleika. Give it a go- if he is ready he'll get the hang of it in a couple of days

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now