Talk

Advanced search

18 mo suddenly doing weird stuff

(22 Posts)
Purplelooby Mon 10-Mar-14 11:34:20

Just on the last two weeks my 18 mo DS has started toe-walking ALL of the time. He also has his mouth wide open with his tongue out like a big puppy. It's just that they have started together at exactly the same time making me a bit concerned but I know it could be a coincidence. He's walked fine since 13 months and if I say 'flat feet please!' he walks normally for about two steps then goes back to toes.

I know these things are often linked to other delays but actually his language and physical development are good for his age, although he did have a strange crawl (right knee left foot). According to his childminder, his social skills are advanced except for his emotions... e.g. He has never been bothered by other babies being up upset.

Should I seek help or just chill. Doesn't help that I've got a baby due any day...

Whiteshoes Mon 10-Mar-14 11:42:35

Isn't this just the age they discover toe walking? My little girl did it for a bit while it was a novelty. And then she grew bored with it.

I imagine this is a really tough time with ababy on the way. Perhaps you're feeling more anxious anyway?

And perhaps the toddler is picking up on the change in the air and doing stuff that gets your attention? They are odd little buggers.

I say be kind to yourself and if it's still a thing in 4 weeks then ask someone about it to put your kind at rest, but promise yourself not to worry about it til then!

Whiteshoes Mon 10-Mar-14 11:43:10

Whoops, mind not kind!

Whiteshoes Mon 10-Mar-14 11:44:25

Oh, are any of them bothered by others at all at that age? Not much.

Kittymalinky Mon 10-Mar-14 11:47:23

My 17mo loves toe walking. She learnt it early at ballet but does it loads.

She also spins around and around. I figure it's just a developmental balance thing and she'll get bored soon. I wouldn't worry.

DontWannaBeObamasElf Mon 10-Mar-14 12:30:53

My daughter has been walking unaided for about 5 weeks and does this, she used to do it a lot more as she could go faster on her toes. She's done it a few times today but I say "Flat feet please" and she corrects herself.

Elizabeth22 Mon 10-Mar-14 12:44:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ikeaismylocal Mon 10-Mar-14 19:38:33

My ds "found" his tongue when he was 12 months old, he stuck it out constantly for about 3 weeks (over christmas, so all the photos at christmas look like ds is trying to lick things) I think he just thought it felt interesting on his teath. He also has a heart haped tongue and I suspect a tongue tie, I think that maybe he fell and his tt broke and he was then able to stick his tongue out so he was experimenting with it (I had never seen him stick it out before that)

Ds is now 14 months old and he never reacts to other children crying, lots of his little friends cry when the others cry but ds just sits there looking a bit confused. I do worry slightly about this, but his communication is great apart from reacting to people crying.

DontWannaBeObamasElf Mon 10-Mar-14 20:02:02

Why should they cry when others do? My daughter is almost 16 months and doesn't do this, she looks at them a bit confused then looks at me but I didn't know it was an issue if she didn't?

ikeaismylocal Mon 10-Mar-14 20:03:13

I think they are supposed to react to other people's emotions, so reflect a smile and cry if another baby is crying.

DontWannaBeObamasElf Mon 10-Mar-14 20:06:28

She smiles back and notices crying but doesn't cry. Great, something else to worry about!

neversleepagain Mon 10-Mar-14 20:09:03

My DD is 17 months and often walks on her toes. She also makes animal noises. She has also discovered her nostril and sticks her finger up there. She pretends to bump her head for attention. She does pretend farts complete with a fart pulling face and then laughs. She digs in the bathroom bin. She touches inside the toilet bowl. She eats old mouldy raisins of the floor.

She does a lot of weird stuff. I just put it down to development and learning.

Try not to worry, all kids do weird things smile

TeaAndALemonTart Mon 10-Mar-14 20:09:36

I disagree that they cry if one of the others cry, not my experience at all and I've worked with children of all ages for a long time.

ikeaismylocal Mon 10-Mar-14 20:11:34

I disagree that they cry if one of the others cry, not my experience at all and I've worked with children of all ages for a long time.

I'm glad to hear that tea I think my friends babies might just be a sensertive bunch.

CrazyOldCatLady Mon 10-Mar-14 20:11:47

Both of mine toe walked for a while at that age, and neither was really bothered by other babies crying. It all sounds perfectly normal to me!

DS is 2 now and spent the evening trying to lick my laptop. Kids are bizarre.

Auntierosemary Mon 10-Mar-14 20:18:26

My daughter used to do the same thing at that age. We were worried because her dad walked on his tiptoes when he was a kid (and still does!) and it turned out to be because he has short Achilles' tendons. He still has to wear lifts in his shoes and he is 40!
So we got our daughter referred to a podiatrist. He watched her walking and said we wouldn't need to worry unless she was still doing it all the time by the time she was either four, or five, can't remember now. Anyway, she is three now and has stopped.
So I am sure you would be given the same advice - don't worry about it!
And the tongue thing just suggests concentration I reckon...

PandaFeet Mon 10-Mar-14 20:19:35

DD2 is 16 months and she walks backwards and spins around until shes stumbling and falling over herself. She learnt it one day and now does it all the time.

She also shakes her head really fast. And she doesn't care if other kids are crying. As long as she is getting her own way she is happy.

ilikemysleep Mon 10-Mar-14 20:19:42

Tongue protrusion can be a sign of low muscle tone, as can weird crawling or absent crawl. Toe walking can be caused by tight achilles tendons. My son has low oral tone and spent several months with his tongue hanging out. He was slowish to speak, struggled with forming sounds, and has a deep / husky voice. He also sloshes drinks around his mouth and eats contantly in order to stimulate his oral cavity, which has resulted in a few fillings. Does your ds mouth stuff or was he slow to bite? An occupational therapist would be the professional to see, but they might say he's a bit young yet.

Purplelooby Wed 12-Mar-14 20:19:49

Lots of different experiences of this - thank you all. My childminder pointed out the toy walking and seemed a little concerned... It's definitely all of the time now sad

I have to say the tongue out has become less often though - it seems to be when he's happy he opens his mouth fully wide and puts his tongue right out as far as it can go and runs around like that so I don't think it's muscle tone as this seems to be something that he is choosing to do, if that makes sense? He doesn't mouth stuff but he's very sensitive to new textures and often empties his mouth if something unexpected appears.

DontWannaBeObamasElf Fri 14-Mar-14 09:51:45

Try not to focus to much on the toe walking. My cousin did it until he was seven. They thought it was short tendons but he just seemed to grow out of it overnight.

DontWannaBeObamasElf Fri 14-Mar-14 09:52:02

*too much.

BarbarianMum Sat 15-Mar-14 09:40:43

Ime babies only cry when another baby cries if the noise upsets them. Being in tune with the feelings of others comes a lot later. Likewise they laugh at another smiling baby cause they think they are funny, not because they are sharing a joke.
Babies are naturally egocentric.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now