Talk

Advanced search

Confused by screams

(8 Posts)
Taler Sun 09-Mar-14 17:15:26

My DD is 17 weeks old and for a time now has been screaming rather a lot and I'm very confused as to what this means.

I of course accept that part of it is simply her finding her voice but I'm convinced this is not the case all the time.

I would love to know if anyone else's baby does this a lot??

Most of the time when she screams it usually, unfortunately, turns into cries. Or at least the threat to cry. This is why it is bothering me as it seems her screams are generally not happy ones.

You always hear people say "you know your baby's cries". But I don't always. And that inevitably makes me feel like a bad mother as after 4 months I should know shouldn't i?!?

I should also mention that she has been teething for a while but I do give her Ashton & Parsons and Ambesol which you'd think would help her.

BumpyGrindy Sun 09-Mar-14 20:30:06

At 17 weeks I would assume that if she's fed, dry and has slept then she must be in pain.

I would see the doctor for a look at her ears personally.

BumpyGrindy Sun 09-Mar-14 20:30:46

Pain cries are generally higher pitched than other sorts of pain and they tend to go on and on and then stop quite suddenly.

BumpyGrindy Sun 09-Mar-14 20:31:07

Other sorts of CRY not other sorts of pain! Gah!

BertieBotts Sun 09-Mar-14 20:32:29

It's a myth that you know your baby's cries. It's a very limited communication method!

If it's a sudden high pitched scream then I'd be thinking pain. The only other one I knew with DS was that he would make a sort of "lair, lair, lair" when he was hungry.

When she screams does anything that you do help or not really?

BertieBotts Sun 09-Mar-14 20:33:04

And is she writhing around or going tense or anything or no particular pattern to body language?

Taler Sun 09-Mar-14 20:45:22

I'm not seeing any particular pattern when she does these screams. I'd feel just awful if it is pain-related and will of course get it checked out but surely if she was in any level of pain it'd be more constant??

BumpyGrindy Sun 09-Mar-14 20:55:50

Not neccasarily....it could be a flare up....or perhaps she wants entertaining? She might be letting you know she wants a scene change or a cuddle.x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now