Talk

Advanced search

I'm worried that DD (4) is becoming phobic about food.

(10 Posts)
KeepCalmAndLOLKittens Sun 09-Mar-14 12:52:56

Just because I feel terribly guilty about DD's dreadful eating habits I will say that I tried my best with her when we began weaning: loads of yummy AK recipes, combined with elements of BLW and healthy snacking. However, she has gradually refused to eat any form of fruit and veg, unprocessed meat, sauces etc, and now it's hit or miss whether I can even persuade her to eat the failing-all-else options which are cheese on toast, sausages, chicken dippers, oven chips, soup, sandwiches, cereals, pizza ...

DD is frequently sick. She will have a tummy ache but still want milk, but sometimes it will come back up again a bit later in a massive hurl. Other times she get sick because of coughing, or even when she has a cold (I think because she is mucousy).

She has just started school - they start nursery in the term before they're 4 in Wales - and has had a lot of time off already. I know that I will start getting sniffy letters soon even though school isn't compulsory until 5, because a friend has just received one. Her DD has had less time off than mine!

What's really worrying me is that DD has become very squeamish both about food and other things. This morning she was massively sick because DS trod in some porridge that she'd just spilt on the floor. At school on Friday she was sick because she and a friend saw something a bit gross on the ground (can't remember what now). She was also sick during lunch at preschool once - I now suspect it was squeamishness about others' food / eating.

DD can't stand to be near us while we eat 'normal' food so she leaves the table (it's that or vomit!) Today I was preparing a tuna sandwich. He asked me to close the kitchen door until we'd finished lunch - there was a whole room between her and the kitchen! She will happily eat crap, but she can't stomach much of it.

TMI alert here so as not to drip-feed - on Friday her poo was partly reddish-pink. She had tummy ache in the night so I phoned NHS out of hours to be on the safe side. They thought it unlikely that it was blood but I'm still not convinced.

I don't know what to do with her. I think I will make an appointment with the GP but based on past experience I don't expect much advice. So has anyone here experienced similar?

KeepCalmAndLOLKittens Sun 09-Mar-14 12:54:57

I have never, ever made a big deal about food, btw. I consciously avoid cajoling because I fear it will cause problems - turns out we have those problems anyway!

stargirl1701 Sun 09-Mar-14 13:00:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KeepCalmAndLOLKittens Sun 09-Mar-14 13:12:55

HV is a better idea. We've not long moved into the area so I will have to see what's available tomorrow. Also your comment about ASD is interesting, thanks.

KeepCalmAndLOLKittens Sun 09-Mar-14 22:00:27

She heaved when she saw a bit of leftover lettuce on a plate earlier confused

LatinForTelly Sun 09-Mar-14 22:35:06

Sorry you're having such problems, OP.

I have a food-phobic child, who also vomits when he sees things he finds revolting, or sometimes even if you talk about them. For example, teachers talking about messy school dining rooms or hearing someone gargle, or slurp. Also things like earrings or wet hair.

What is her weight like?

It sounds like she might need to see a paediatrician to look into things if she is vomiting a lot, refusing food and not gaining weight.

In the meantime, I recommend a book called 'Just take a bite' which looks at addressing the different reasons for food refusal. You can get it from Amazon. (Sorry, am on tablet and am a bit rubbish at linking.)

I am absolutely not medical, but could she have reflux, do you think? This might explain the vomiting, and the food refusal might be a consequence of that?

I would also suggest you keep serving up what she likes, but include one tiny thing also for her to try with each meal.

If it helps at all, my son has got so much better over the last eighteen months even. He's gone from eating about 5 foodstuffs to well over 20. Also, I found that what has helped his all round revulsions has been starting school and learning the word 'gross'. He saw a boy spitting in the street recently, and I thought oh, no he's going to vomit, but he just said 'gross' and naming the feeling, iyswim, seemed to prevent the need to vomit.

But I would reiterate that if things are severe and getting worse, I would probably ask my gp for a referral to a paediatrician.

Good luck, and sorry for the essay!

MamaPingu Sun 09-Mar-14 22:38:37

Hiya OP, I just wanted to ask do you know when this started?
Was it following an illness or a traumatic event?

I had pneumonia and almost died at 18 months which triggered an eating disorder similar sounding to what your DD has. Although the being sick a lot makes me wonder if it's something stomach related, but it could just be from disgust!

Best wishes

Sleepwhenidie Sun 09-Mar-14 23:12:18

Definitely see the GP. See what is suggested there. With regard to the food she is eating, try not to stress. Can you get veg in the soup and on the pizza? If the GP advice doesn't get you anywhere and even if it does, I'd also consider taking her off all dairy for 2-3 weeks (use sunflower spread, soya or almond milk etc) see how she gets on, then reintroduce it and see what, if any reaction there is. Dairy intolerance may be causing the mucous and making her tummy very unsettled, removing it may sort out some of the issues at least....

KeepCalmAndLOLKittens Mon 10-Mar-14 18:00:59

I have called the doctor and arranged an appointment in a couple of weeks' time. In the meantime she is having blood, stool and urine tests to rule out anything like Coeliac disease. Thanks for the suggestions.

KeepCalmAndLOLKittens Mon 10-Mar-14 18:01:42

Unfortunately pizza and soup are becoming unacceptable fast.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now