Talk

Advanced search

when is "toddlerhood"

(5 Posts)
fertilizemyeggsbenedict Wed 05-Mar-14 22:04:06

My DS started walking fairly early - cruising from 9 months and walking by himself at 12 months, he's 14 months now, so technically that makes him a toddler, right? He's certainly got the attitude too - throwing a tantrum if he can't get what he wants, it lasts all of 5 seconds if he's suitably distracted though. But I thought all this didn't really happen until at least 18-24 months (the terrible two's). I know all kids are different, but the things I read about toddlers seem to point to them being older and understanding more, like letting them choose and explaining things to them. I feel like there must be an ocean of difference between my slightly over-1-year-old-was-a-baby-a-second-ago to a 2 year old, fully walking, mostly talking child!

BlueberryPoppy123 Wed 05-Mar-14 22:24:58

It comes on gradually my DS started tantrums earlier and it's so hard as you can't explain no you can't do that etc, distraction is the only way and sometimes they just won't be distracted!

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtle Wed 05-Mar-14 22:31:11

My dd was walking at 11 mo but in my mind only really became a toddler when she started bossing me around, couple of months before her 2nd bday. Mummy sit down! Mummy hold this!

Bumpsadaisie Wed 05-Mar-14 22:38:57

I'd say toddlerhood as in the "terrible twos" starts when distraction no longer works and you think "oh s**t, what now?"

You're right - big difference between a 14 mth old and a 2 year old. IME 2 year olds are more fun - yes they can drive you mad with their terrible twos-ing, but they are hilariously cute when they start talking and the toys and games and activities get much more fun too. Also they are usually happy to potter about the house without clinging onto your leg the whole time!

On the other hand they have very STRONG immediate DESIRES that TOTALLY OVERWHELM them and that there is no way you can distract them out of. Exhausting, whether you humour them or fight a battle, exhausting both ways!

Doitnicelyplease Thu 06-Mar-14 03:22:22

I'd say a toddler is usually around 18 months up to 3 years, when they become a pre-schooler.

Though as with all things some dc seem like they are toddlers earlier, like my dd1 she looked older and was physically advanced so was a toddler in my mind from 14/15 months. However my dd2 walked late and had no hair she seemed babyish for a lot longer. She really only became a 'proper' toddler around 19/20 months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now