Talk

Advanced search

How do you deal who your toddler hitting?

(5 Posts)
littleraysofsunshine Wed 05-Mar-14 21:47:42

Dd1 went through a little spell, but literally nothing. Dd2 however has been soon the hitting and grabbing scenario for about two moths now. On & off, also triggered by tiredness sometimes, over stimulation but more often than not it's toy related. Her speech is coming a long well but I think she still finds it better to react this way than try to talk. And I end up having to grab her to stop her as she is constantly hitting big sister (3) or pulling hair. Dd2 is 21 months

littleraysofsunshine Wed 05-Mar-14 21:50:27

After each time I get down to her level, make eye contact and say it's not kind to hit, then she apologies, we suss out why she's done it (who had the toy first for example) then she gives a hug and kiss. But. It's all the time at the minute! And sometimes will result in a horrendous meltdown if it's not resolved (her getting the toy)

I think she sometimes does these things without actually thinking. Typical 1.5yo behaviour. She's only small still but just don't like to keep telling her off but poor dd1 won't have any hair left!

She can also do it in a playful way but not realise it's not nice. So high fives but quite rough which may seem like hitting..

Hmmm?

Bumpsadaisie Wed 05-Mar-14 22:43:45

My son (2.4) was like this from Xmas to a couple of weeks ago. He had a phase of whacking his elder sister round the head.

If he did it repeatedly I banished him to a room on his own and closed the door for a couple of minutes. He didn't like that and now if he looks like he is going to hit/if he hits I give him a stern warning that if he does it again he is going in his room on his own. That soon stops him.

Feel a bit mean but I can't allow him to be whacking people round the head!

Jess03 Thu 06-Mar-14 13:34:25

Oh unhappy memories. Dd did this a lot between 18 months and 2, she's 3 and she hardly does it now it was frustration at not being able to say what she wants. Remove her every single time from the situation, if out take something away.

MiaowTheCat Thu 06-Mar-14 14:41:43

Well DD1 is currently in her bedroom because she wouldn't stop it with her younger sister. She's knackered which is why her behaviour's gone so terrible this afternoon, so if she falls asleep then there's the bonus of her having a nap but the situation was getting so fraught I think both sides need some mutual cooling off time (I know I do before I lose my temper spectacularly with her) so 5-10 minutes sat reading books in her bed on the offchance she'll have a nap can't do much harm in this case I think (am watching her on the monitor and she's not at all distressed up there).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now