Talk

Advanced search

Potty training and pre school

(9 Posts)
CheesyBadger Wed 05-Mar-14 19:51:03

Dd 3.4 is starting to be interested in pot training but tends to hold it in until convinced to go and still poos herself daily. She is in knickers all day and has been for just under a week but I am concerned about pre school tomorrow.

I think I am going to send her in a pull up as she gets very wound up as the day goes on from holding it in and will poo about 2pm ish. I am ok dealing with this as a parent but I am not sure it is fair on the pre school or her.

Do you think I am doing the right thing?

hotdog74 Wed 05-Mar-14 20:03:49

I have a DD the same age and I think tomorrow I would go with pants and pack several spare pairs and spare leggings/trousers and see how she goes. She might surprise you when there with the peer pressure from others using potty/toilet, or it could go very badly and you will have to have a rethink, but I would let her try tomorrow and then go from there. The staff should be very used to helping out in these circumstances, and long term it is in their interests too to get her fully trained.

CheesyBadger Wed 05-Mar-14 20:12:45

I am so conflicted! I completely agree with you but her poos are so messy I would really feel for them if she pooed herself! She has been so stubborn about potty training that I would hate to set her back

Littlefish Wed 05-Mar-14 20:13:26

I'm a pre-school teacher and would encourage you to send her in pants. I'm working with 2 children at the moment who are toilet trraining. We just give them lots of additional reminders to go to the toilet. One is seeing and pooing happily at home, but hasn't yet done a wee or poo at nursery. If they have accidents, we just clean them up. It really isn't a problem. If continuing the toilet training process at pre-school means that it is sorted sooner, then we are always happy to help grin.

Littlefish Wed 05-Mar-14 20:14:09

Weeing, not seeing!

CheesyBadger Wed 05-Mar-14 20:37:41

Very very reassuring Littlefish! Thank you! I think I will go for pants... If it isn't unusual for them not to poo or see at pre school then I think I may be worrying about nothing.

CheesyBadger Wed 05-Mar-14 20:37:51

Wee not see!

Littlefish Wed 05-Mar-14 20:46:28

The other thing we do is to give the child either bubbles or a windmill to blow when they are on the toilet. We also give them a little step for their feet so they are in a good sitting position, until they get the hang of pooing at nursery. We will also keep them company if they want us to stay. Some do, and some don't. I've spend many afternoons sitting on a tiny chair outside the cubicle of a toilet training child, singing song after song!

CheesyBadger Wed 05-Mar-14 21:49:20

Ah, that is how I hope dd's teachers will be. I am not sure they can handle it though as they seem to phone me up all the time, like when she is 'a bit sad' or cuddly

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now