Talk

Advanced search

6 yo DD soiling her pants

(5 Posts)
ladymarian Tue 04-Mar-14 15:57:44

Apologies for the unpleasant subject!
My DD has had some poo issues in the past where she soiled her pants and some poo was "bypassing" Dr prescribed movicol over a year ago which we gave her sparingly and it all sorted itself out|by also improving her diet and fluid intake. A couple of weeks ago seemingly out of the blue it happened again then it has happened 2 out of the last 3 days. The strange thing is that she has been doing a poo fairly regularly and they are large and fairly normal not like before (yes I am sad and check!) so it seems different.
I suspect she witholds poo sometimes and worryingly sometimes when she asks to go to the toilet at school the teacher says no.
I've tried to speak to her about it but she seems unconcerned and doesn't seem to know she's done it.
I can't get a doctors appointment for a fortnight
Anyone experienced this with their 6 yo DCs?

LastingLight Tue 04-Mar-14 16:48:15

Sorry no personal experience, but I think you should explain to the teacher that your dd has digestive issues and when she needs to go they must let her.

soupmaker Tue 04-Mar-14 20:05:47

Hello Lady. We have a 6 year old withholder. We've had issues for 3 years so I have loads of experience and we are still in the middle of it.

It's worth getting a hold of Anthony Cohn's book about withholding and constipation. <<http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1843104911>>.

Hope the link works.

I'd really push for a meeting with your DDs teacher to explain the situation and discuss how the school can support her if she soils at school. It makes a massive difference to me to know that staff understand our DD1s issues and support her.

ladymarian Tue 04-Mar-14 20:18:59

Thanks for that Soupmaker. I will look for that book.
I will have a word with the teacher. She always has a spare pair of pants in a plastic bag in a pocket in her school bag. I've always made sure she's had them since she started school and she's changed herself a couple of times but that was a while ago. With these latest incidents she either doesn't know she's done it or doesn't seem bothered

Crosseyedcat Wed 05-Mar-14 10:28:52

Definitely speak to the teacher. Also speak to ERIC - if you google you will see that they have a helpline.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now