Talk

Advanced search

Clicking when breastfeeding

(10 Posts)
Roxie85 Mon 03-Mar-14 16:25:00

I have a 10 week old baby who is putting on weight well, but when she breastfeeds it starts off quietly but then after a minute or so she starts to click and take in air. This doesn't happen every feed, but most of them.
She feeds every 2hrs for approx 10mins or so.
I worry that the latch isn't good but am struggling to find out and how to rectify it. Or could it be something else.
Her chin is away from her neck and slightly pushed into my breast, the tip of her nose touches my breast, there is no pain or discomfort at all. She opens her mouth wide.... Everything points to an OK latch.
I can't see the position of her lips (are they like a fish) as my boob is in the way and I daren't move my boob to look as she will unlatch.
Once she has fed for about 10mins she starts to pull away from the breast still holding onto the nipple, then she goes back to it. Other times she will completely come off but try and go back on (her mouth will be wide open and she will put it over my breast and kind of spit me out and try again and then put her tongue on it and flail her head around and then eventually she might latch and feed) other times she just falls asleep.
My breast always gets softer but not sure if it feels 'empty'
Any help or ideas would be great as she gets so gassy and uncomfortable plus it really draws attention to me feeding as she is so noisy.

minipie Mon 03-Mar-14 16:40:42

Sounds a lot like DD who was eventually diagnosed with posterior tongue tie (very common but often missed by the NHS). Has your DD been checked?

mawbroon Mon 03-Mar-14 17:24:44

Sounds like classic tongue tie symptoms to me.

here

Roxie85 Mon 03-Mar-14 18:11:46

No she hasn't been checked unless it's a routine thing. She can stick her tongue out though so can they still have tongue tie? I'll ask my health visitor on her next visit, or is it worth me booking a gp app?

ZuleikaD Mon 03-Mar-14 19:07:41

I'd book a GP appt.

Ladycurd Mon 03-Mar-14 19:33:06

The nose shouldn't touch the boob with a good latch means chin is down chin needs to be up and extended so nose points away from boob.

I had clucky latch- posterior tongue tie, GP prob useless though- most hopeless with tongue tie especially posteriors.

Google Flipple technique or extended latch, that encourages a deep latch with less clicking.

How is weight gain?

Roxie85 Mon 03-Mar-14 19:55:18

Thanks ill look at those techniques. My mw said tip of the nose can touch to show she has a big mouthful.

Weight gain is fine. She is growing on her percentile according to her 8 week check so they don't have any concerns there. She was small at birth though so is a bit tiddly for her age.

mawbroon Mon 03-Mar-14 21:38:39

Just be warned that many HCPs do not have good knowledge about tongue ties.

Sticking out the tongue is not an indicator, sorry. The tongue can look completely normal to the untrained eye but still be significantly restricted.

There are a couple of facebook groups which are worth joining to look at pictures of tied babies/kids and compare their experiences with yours. No substitute for a professional diagnosis, of course, but a good starting point.

minipie Tue 04-Mar-14 11:00:54

My DD could (and did) stick her tongue out miles but still had a tongue tie - posterior tongue tie (ie attachment at the back of the tongue) which is harder to spot than anterior (attachment at the front).

As mawbroon says, many GPs/HVs are not good at diagnosing TT and may get it wrong - see if you can find a local breastfeeding group or breastfeeding counsellor who would be better at diagnosing.

How are your nipples after a feed?

Frizz1986 Tue 04-Mar-14 16:34:10

I'll have a look into someone with more knowledge. I dont have a car though so it can make getting to places tough if transport links are bad.
My nipples are fine after feeding, no pain or soreness at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now