Talk

Advanced search

Words for an 18 month old

(12 Posts)
Coffeemonster1 Mon 03-Mar-14 10:14:35

Just wondering what the average language skills are for an 18 month old?
My lg has a few words, she can say:
Hiya
Bye bye
Mumma
Dada
Nana and narna for banana
Woof woof
Quack
Ta
More
Yes and no (her favourite)
Yaaaay when clapping
Bunny
Bear
I'm sure there are one or two more but didn't know if this was ok for her age.
She understands lots and is very aware of what goes on around her, she copies actions, like if she sees someone with a tissue she will take it and say "bin" and actually put it in the bin and the same with finding fluff on the carpet lol. She will fetch things when asked and do things like put her books away when asked so I know she understands more than she says. She does the actions for many songs and can answer questions like "are you hungry or do you want lunch now?" And she will go into the kitchen, stand by her chair with her arms up saying "yeah,yeah".
So can you guys tell me what your 18 month olds are doing so I can see the range of abilities.

BlueChampagne Mon 03-Mar-14 11:55:46

About 18 months was when I first started a list of what my two (now 4 and 6) could say, so it sounds like she's doing fine.

DrowningOnSchoolRun Mon 03-Mar-14 12:26:05

Sounds fine to me too. About 10 words/sounds at 18m, now at 20m he's off the scale.

charlietangoteakettlebarbeque Mon 03-Mar-14 12:59:09

My 18 month old can say

car
choo choo
Beer (usually preceeded by the word daddy)
Nee naw
his name (nearly)
his cousins name
cake (pronounced Cock)
Mummy
ah da (means airplane)
Ta
truck
oh no (very dramatically)
all gone

neversleepagain Mon 03-Mar-14 14:24:17

My twins are were 17 months a few days ago (15 months actual) and between them can say...

mama
dada
nanny
narna (banana)
apple
up
there
come

They can make a lot of animal sounds...
cat, dog, monkey, snake, fish, lion, seal, cow, duck, frog, owl,

We do baby sign language and so far they can sign around 25 words.

neversleepagain Mon 03-Mar-14 14:27:08

How could I have forgotten...

They love to say Oh dear!

purplebaubles Mon 03-Mar-14 14:30:15

16 month old here.

All she can say is mama, dada, dog and duck!

Seriously, why do people worry about this! They'll all catch up in their own time smile

PointyDogs Mon 03-Mar-14 14:42:37

Sounds about right. DD has just turned 20 months and I'd say had most of your list at 18 months, and also now has
gate
door
dummy
biscuit
toast
milk
up
down
boing (while bouncing)

Her vocab has expanded a lot the past couple of weeks, new words appearing every few days. This week she has also started stringing two words together - mostly just "dummy here" or "mummy here" when she wants something!

ben5 Mon 03-Mar-14 14:42:41

Sounds normal. I remember when ds1 was about the same age, maybe 20 mths. His dad was at sea and I would write every week. I would tell him what new words ds knew. By the September when he was around 22 mths I gave up. He was saying more words by the day and I couldn't keep up!!!

zoemaguire Mon 03-Mar-14 15:01:25

Dd1- about 150 words at 18 months.
DS - no, Dada, mama. Very little speech until gone 2.

Now they are aged 3 and 5 and never shut upsmile Honestly, the range at this age is massive, but in a few years nobody will know the difference.

zoemaguire Mon 03-Mar-14 15:08:31

Dd1- about 150 words at 18 months.
DS - no, Dada, mama. Very little speech until gone 2.

Now they are aged 3 and 5 and never shut upsmile Honestly, the range at this age is massive, but in a few years nobody will know the difference.

Hippymama Tue 04-Mar-14 14:50:08

Not many words at 18 months, but at just over 2 I would say he has about 150 words. He can count to 15, knows a few shapes and colours and all his animals and animal sounds. It really does vary so much at this age and can change very quickly smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now