Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Shoes

(8 Posts)
kaffkooks Sun 02-Mar-14 21:10:03

My 16 month old son is gaining more confidence with walking and now wants to walk holding my hands outside. He has just been wearing moccasins until now so as it's so wet underfoot I took him to get him measured for crawlers today in Clark's. He screamed the place down when he was being measured and when I put a pair of shoes on him. Tried to distract him and get him to walk or at least crawl towards me but he just sat there yelling at me and trying to take the shoes off. I know shoes aren't essential yet but he's going to need protection for his feet when he goes outside soon. Any ideas how to make this easier?

AuditAngel Sun 02-Mar-14 21:13:58

Perhaps he was tired or hungry? Maybe try at a different time of day?

kaffkooks Sun 02-Mar-14 21:18:29

He had just had a 1.5 hour sleep and a stuffing big lunch. He was his usual smiley, happy self with the sales assistant before shoes went on and as soon as they came off.

Bedsheets4knickers Sun 02-Mar-14 21:23:06

Shoes can go either way some don't care less, some go nuts for a few days. With both my 2 I've slipped them on at breakfast when they are in the high chair . Takes a week or 2 of drama but they need to wear shoes at somepoint right x

Theas18 Sun 02-Mar-14 21:23:18

wellies for a little while if he wants to walk outside when soft soled shoes won't do?
The little leather bobux type shoes will take a reasonable amount of outside use, and a month or so down the line he'll be more amenable I reckon

Happydaze77 Sun 02-Mar-14 22:08:55

It may be more to do with stranger anxiety rather than an issue with shoes, iyswim.

My dd screamed in the shop when she had her feet measured, and screamed even more when they tried to put shoes on her. We just brought the shoes home and left them lying around for her to pick up and chew look at. We also made the whole thing sound exciting - "ooh, dd, where are your shooooooze?" (fetches shoes) "Well done, ooh, they're nice shoes, shall we try them on?" etc etc.

She loves them now a little too much actually

musicmaiden Tue 04-Mar-14 18:32:36

DS was like this. And in January was measured and fitted for the first time without any fuss. He is 4.5yo shock

We just endured it until then, really. It was stressful. Just choose a pair that fits according to the assistant, then cut and run. DS then tantrummed when he first had a new pair on but forgot after an hour. Until the next time! This too shall pass...

slightlyconfused85 Tue 04-Mar-14 20:16:46

My DD went nuts when we took her for her first shoes in clarks just after 12 months! I think it was a stranger thing, we just got on with it and had them fitted. We left them on inside for that day, and by the next day she was absolutely fine with them. At 16 months she loves them now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now