Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

About to explode!

(12 Posts)
coco1 Sat 01-Mar-14 21:04:06

Hi I'm new to this, but I have 3 kids 4,6 and 7 and I'm looking for any advice suggestions as to make them sleep in their own beds or at least not keep coming down in the evening as well. I accept being on the go all day, "can I have ... Where are we going... Can I watch .. Being followed around the house... Not being able to go to the loo by myself And generally feeling liked I'm electronically tagged in my own home as well as general sibling bickering.But what I struggle with is when it comes to bedtime, pretty much every evening each or all children will come down with some excuse or other (7 yr old seems to be sleepwalking so he's probably not aware), and then in addition this happens throughout the night. I can't remember a single night when husband and I have not had little visitors. I know I'm moaning but I'm finding it really hard as it feels like I get no escape, as a result I am extremely ratty, but then feel really guilty. Any tips or is this par for the course. I have tried reward charts etc which work for a short period , but once the reward is given it's back to square one!
By the way even when husband is home and he's pretty good with them, they will always ask/nag me even when we're both in the same room. It drives me nuts.
Any tips appreciated thanks

TheGreatHunt Sat 01-Mar-14 21:14:01

Do they share a room?

Auntierosemary Sat 01-Mar-14 21:25:33

With you there, op. I've got two kids, one still in cot so that's ok on this front, but other one is a chronic night wanderer. We have spells of a few weeks or so when she will stay in bed all night but they're only when we are super strict, and we don't always have the energy. What we find works, when we find the strength, are threats and bribes. For when we can't be bothered, we have a blow up mattress that slides under our bed that we wheak out for her during the night. She doesn't tend to appear while we are still up, thankfully, but that is just luck, she tends to sleep quite heavily in the first part of the night. Sorry, no other tips just empathy.

coco1 Sat 01-Mar-14 21:37:15

Thank you both for your replies, I guess it's something I'm going to have to put up with really. They each have their own room, husband and I have double bed, and as you can imagine 5 of us in one bed is a nightmare so it's often musical beds in our house, and then the broken sleep leaves you shattered in the day.when we have the energy we will tell them to go back to their beds, but the youngest who is a very stubborn child refuses and then ends up shouting and crying which then wakes the other 2if they're not already in bed with us. The joys of kids eh.

Thanks

Auntierosemary Sat 01-Mar-14 21:52:19

A colleague of mine has four kids and she says that they just had two double beds pushed together in her bedroom until the youngest was about 7. It is so hard not getting time to yourself but everyone I know with older kids says try to enjoy it because in no time at all, they won't want you anywhere near them. Easier said than done when you haven't slept for years!

coco1 Sat 01-Mar-14 22:36:45

Hi and thanks again for your post, as I thought really a bigger bed would definitely help though. I already have the company of 7 year old so await the other 2.

TheGreatHunt Sun 02-Mar-14 00:31:39

I'd stick them in the same room as they might settle better with company or less likely to come to you. I used to get quite scared in the night as a kid and was happier when my brother was there (Which was before we stopped sharing)

MuggledWoman Sun 02-Mar-14 17:48:00

At their ages, I don't think this is par for the course and you shouldn't put up with it. I know that sounds harsh, but I think you need to go through a possibly rough week when you are super strict and return them to their beds every single time they get up. Don't engage in a conversation other than 'It's night time, back to your own bed'. They'll get the message when they got bored of just being returned to their room and stop bothering to get up. We're really strict on this and DS2 (3) realises that this is not an area of negotiation. DS2 (3 months) will get the same message when the time comes. Your kids are old enough to learn a rule and stick to it, IMO.

Meganlillymai Sun 02-Mar-14 18:42:18

Im having the aame trouble getting mine to bed. Shes only 2 but ahe can climb ocrr her gate ao I had to remove it incase she fell. I feel so atressed at the min

Dandare Sun 02-Mar-14 20:49:08

I agree with muggle - set the boundaries and enforce them. Returning them to their beds with no on the spot debates - maybe tell them in advance that this is the 'new' rule as everyone is too tired, etc, and maybe do the sticker charts again with some good incentive, and lots of positive reinforcement of the good guys each morning who manage not to? They kind of sound old enough to get it about why?
Nothing worse than constant tiredness! If it was only one of them I would say let him/her in with you for an easy life as one day, that will stop....BUT with a gang of them, it's a different story!

PasSageDuTout Mon 03-Mar-14 12:16:11

Don't buy a bigger bed as this will act as an enabler and you will be disturbed every night as the bigger bed will seem like your approval (to the kids) of this behaviour.
Your sleep is so precious and you need to regain some control. Chances are your younger kids are copying the older kids. Might be an idea to have them share a room as someone has already suggested - start at a weekend and treat it like an indoor camping activity, i.e. make it fun and don't make any reference to this being an alternative to them coming into your room.
You could also get a lock for your bedroom door!!/emo/te/1.gif

lljkk Mon 03-Mar-14 12:38:53

I go to bed & they keep getting up & down like Yoyos while I wish I could sleep. The 9yo sneaks off to get biscuits or ice cream, the 12yo up & down up & down the stairs for her hair/homework/phone/bits. Eventually I get up & holler. 6yo is pretty good in comparison; goes to bed & sleeps!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now