Talk

Advanced search

10 yr old son has gf.

(8 Posts)
ivybrick Sat 01-Mar-14 16:18:29

Hi. New to this forum. My 10yr old has recently become rather obsessed with a girl in his yr. Bought her a valentines card and pretty much wants to see her every spare minute. It is cute but he does not know I think that. The trouble is I am really really not happy about it. She seems sweet but from what I have peiced together her parents are just awful and actually rather neglectful. She is allowed out alone most of the time, her little sis has cut her hair, clearly as she too is poorly supervised and her mum looks like a 50 yr old drunk junky. I shouldn't judge but I have and I am bound to because of my work in child protection. I am delighted he has a new friend but not pleased at all with this ridiculous obsession. Very unhealthy. I need advice from those who know to try and manipulate it to wind it down. What a cow!

Innogen Sat 01-Mar-14 16:40:46

They're 10. It will wind down on its own.

Breakage Sat 01-Mar-14 16:52:56

It will fissle out. One thing's certain the more you try to "manipulate" it the longer it will go on for.

Our children will inevitably have friends from all walks of life (which is a good thing, it takes all sorts) All we can do is bring them up "right" and equip them to make good decisions when necessary. Perhaps this girl needs a friend like your DS, that doesn't mean she'll drag him down.

quietlysuggests Sat 01-Mar-14 17:01:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AuntieStella Sat 01-Mar-14 17:04:58

Well if you think her DM is a drunk junkie, and you have CP background, you will have already reported the family so they get the support they need.

Or if you haven't, perhaps your impressions of the family are unimportant and you just need to step back and let it run its course. Presumably it is mainly school based?

somedizzywhore1804 Sat 01-Mar-14 17:05:27

Sounds like the family of the fella I was obsessed with when I was 20. Better at 10 than 20 I think grin

insancerre Sat 01-Mar-14 17:07:37

who is a cow?
the child? that's a bit OTT
or the mother? not very professional, given your line of work
you sound really charming

takingthathometomomma Sat 01-Mar-14 17:10:44

Surely if you come from a CP background you should be at least be little more sympathetic to the little girl (if not actively trying to help her) rather than judging her and wishing that your son wasn't friends (or "obsessed") with her?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now