Talk

Advanced search

2 hour awake period - when does this change?

(8 Posts)
mustardtomango Sat 01-Mar-14 12:37:59

Ds is 19 weeks and seems to be defying the, up till now, neatly adhered to 2 hour rule.

Is he at the next stage or do I need to use ever cleverer ways of persuading him he really does need to sleep?

Help, his crankiness can be overwhelming if he gets too tired

slightlyconfused85 Sat 01-Mar-14 17:26:36

Mine could still only do 2 hours at 6 months. Don't push him to stay awake longer - they're all different and have different tolerances for awake time. You won't thank yourself for making him overtired!

I had a sleepy baby, but now at 16 months she does 11.5 hours at night and a 1.5-2 hour nap after lunch and is awake the rest of the time, same as most other children her age.

mustardtomango Sat 01-Mar-14 19:29:42

Thanks for your reply... It's less pushing him, more that he refuses to go down!

I think he's actually on the beginnings of a cold, think that's affecting him a bit. Fingers crossed it passes soon

Clarabell78 Sat 01-Mar-14 19:57:17

At 8 months my ds is still at 2 hours, sometimes 2.5. He's a v active little guy so I think he tires himself out smile

TheGreatHunt Sat 01-Mar-14 20:09:12

I don't the 2 hour rule really applied for every awake time. It was more 60-90 mins after first waking, then a nap, then awake for 1.5-2 hours then another nap then about 2 hours then a power nap.

slightlyconfused85 Sat 01-Mar-14 22:20:33

Maybe as he becomes more active in his awake time he needs to go down after 90 mins? He could be overtired rather than undertired. I wouldn't have thought he is really ready for more than 2 hours awake so I would try to convince him to sleep rather than increase awake time!

NoEgowoman Sat 01-Mar-14 22:24:23

Read Gina Ford, The Contented Little Baby. Even if you don't want to follow the routines it will give you an idea of what is the natural routine of a baby at each stage.

TheScience Sat 01-Mar-14 22:27:19

Mine started going exactly 3 hours at maybe 5-6 months, except longer at the end of the day - up at 7am, nap 10-11, nap 2-4pm, bed about 8pm

Other routines suggest doing 2, 3, 4 - so two hours from waking til first nap, three hours between naps, four hours til bedtime - 7am, nap 9-10am, nap 1-3pm, 7pm bedtime.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now