Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Which toy would you recommend for 9 month old?

(20 Posts)
GingerMaman Fri 28-Feb-14 10:52:17

My DD who is 9 month old needs a new toy to keep her entertained! smile

She will not let me sit and keeps following me around! I have to physically hide from her (currently under duvet MN-ing wink)

GingerMaman Fri 28-Feb-14 10:52:33

Budget is £20 btw

Mumof3xx Fri 28-Feb-14 10:54:06

Musical instruments?

My 20 month old loves her shakers and click clacky things!

TheSurgeonsMate Fri 28-Feb-14 10:59:30

Stacking cups.

MiaowTheCat Fri 28-Feb-14 11:00:05

Musical instruments - good one - especially if they do dual functions of shaking, clonking yourself on the head and being able to be chomped on. Other than that - my 11 month old's very into push along toys like cars at the moment... her older sister was utterly indifferent to them though. I don't think you're going to get much peace from a 9 month old though - 9/10 months is like peak separation anxiety age so they tend to be very limpet miney then.

JRsandCoffee Fri 28-Feb-14 11:32:32

www.mothercare.com/ELC-Nesting-Eggs/135703,default,pd.html#q=Egg

Inexplicably fascinating for months......... best �5 I've spent on a toy so far, although they are all different so may not be such a hit elsewhere. And books, she started to get really into books around that age, particularly the "thats not my...." ones in lairy colours.

Ferguson Fri 28-Feb-14 18:14:35

Yes, books (board books maybe) and with 'textures' or some other novelty feature.

Duplo - that can last for ever, and huge variety of items; teaches so much - physical, colours, counting, social.

Our DS had a 'Clatterpillar' pull-along toy, but I fixed a very long piece of string on it, which went across the room, and round the leg of a firm chair or table. The end of the string then was given to DS, so when he pulled on the string the toy went AWAY from him. Any wheeled toy would do, of course.

gretagrape Fri 28-Feb-14 19:15:08

My son started to get obsessed with one of these at around 9 months and will play with it all the time:
www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/80014041/

Bigmonkeylittlemonkey Fri 28-Feb-14 19:15:45

The c

Bigmonkeylittlemonkey Fri 28-Feb-14 19:16:43

Sorry pressed post too soon!

The cookie jar, I think it is by Fischer price. My son has loved it since he was 7 months and still plays with it at 18 months

Velma67 Fri 28-Feb-14 19:22:34

Treasure basket.

Get a little box and put a few bits and bobs with different materials and textures in - wooden spoon, pine cone, lemon, handkerchief, anything you can think of as long as it isn't likely to hurt or choke her (so that's a no to the steak knives and marbles!) Very cheap toy and you can change it around when she gets bored.

Aworryingtrend Fri 28-Feb-14 19:42:10

I was going to say the cookie jar, ds loved it from 6 months and still at 17mo. me not so much with the annoying song

Also from about 11 months ild Ds loved touch and feel books and lift the flap books.

Also tge early learning centre activity triangle-cant link as phone but a 3 sided toy with various bits on it. DSs was red and turquoise.

addictedtosugar Fri 28-Feb-14 20:07:57

Lots of excellent ideas above.
Tho I didn't like the cookie jar. Preferred a general shape sorter.
hide and squeek eggs still popular here at nearly 3

mrsbug Fri 28-Feb-14 20:09:11

Baby walker?

MiaowTheCat Fri 28-Feb-14 22:38:36

I find the cookie jar is an excellent idea, not as well executed... it's not the easiest shape sorter to get the shapes into for clumsy little hands (and the song is irritating as hell).

The big red bus one from Early Learning is fab though - lots of rattly different looking bits in the actual shapes which amused DD1 at that age, and then slightly later on - the actual shape sortery part (although DD1 just looks at shapesorters with a "ok, open the back and put all the shapes in the way they came out why would you do anything else cos that's logical" attitude)

http://www.elc.co.uk/Shape-Sorting-Bus---Red/130767,default,pd.html

wherethewildthingis Fri 28-Feb-14 22:47:57

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00804BDEU/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1393627601&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165

DS loves this, at seven months. He has it without the legs at the moment, legs go on once they can stand!

GingerMaman Sat 01-Mar-14 14:50:31

Thanks everyone! smile

Wherethewild, that looks perfect but it's a little outside our budget.

DeathMetalMum Sun 02-Mar-14 07:13:23

Rattles, books, cars, balls, we have a little tikes piano wich is great but elc also do a xylopiano, which isuch better it says 3+ but that is due to the beaters and note cards but my dd (and all past babies in my family 6+) love the one my mum has.

Get a bag - we have a jute type one (christmas m+s one I think) stick all of dcs toys in it, sit sc next to it. I needed a place to keep dd2's toys and this bag was being used for something of dd1's that needed a new place as dd2 was crawling. Well dd2 will spend 30 minutes at times emptyig out the bag. She has a little play with each thing then looks in the bag for something else.

Also I am reccomendig this at peril Alfie Bear - he himself is the most annoying bastard toy in the universe but this past week (a very difficult one) has been the only thing to break dd2 out of huge crying fits. He may be very annoying but far preferable to screaming. Good thing is he is so annoying your could probably easily find one in a charity shop.

wherethewildthingis Sun 02-Mar-14 22:38:33

Ooh, sorry- ours was a pressie from granny. We do buy a lot second hand though, have you a baby stuff for sale group on facebook where you are? My DH has been off today and picked up a playnest and a musical animal train for a fiver. Definitely worth a look!

Passthesaltdear Sun 02-Mar-14 22:56:15

Tomy Hide snd Squeak Eggs...both mine loved them and only about £10

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now