Talk

Advanced search

If your child is naughty in reception...

(11 Posts)
YoungJoseph Thu 27-Feb-14 20:01:17

what's the probability the behaviour will continue?
I keep having to have a quiet chat with DS's teacher about something he has done that day, it's about once a week. He's missed playtimes at school and missed TV at home as punishment.
However, the rate of 'quiet chats' has not gone down. Also his naughty behaviour seems worse each time.
So I would say his punishments aren't really working and I am worried that this is the start of a slippery slope behaviour wise.
So really looking for experience of naughty 4 years NOT becoming naughty 5 year olds.

BumpyGrindy Thu 27-Feb-14 22:30:15

What kind of naughty behaviour are we talking about? Also, how is his language development?

ChocolateHelps Thu 27-Feb-14 22:51:06

Could 'naughty' be more a sign of not complying in a big class? ie not being able to sit still etc?

Highly recommend 'how to talk so kids will listen' for ideas on helping kids understand what's being asked of them.

MegBusset Thu 27-Feb-14 22:54:15

Ds1's behaviour was appalling in reception! He found it really tough to adjust to the environment. It took him until the summer term, really, to settle in and stop getting into trouble.

Since then he's been a model pupil! (Now in y2)

littone Thu 27-Feb-14 23:25:47

My son was the same, it did get better and in the first term of year 1 I asked his teacher how his behaviour was she seemed surprised I had asked. My son was 4 years 3 months when he started school, am sure age was a factor in his behaviour.

YoungJoseph Fri 28-Feb-14 07:01:48

Thanks for your reassuring answers. His speech is poor, he had speech therapy last year for a whole school year (in the school's nursery) and now they want to give him more, despite his excellent progress last year (they said that not me).
His naughty behaviour has been boisterous play, aka fighting at lunchtime , silliness in a lesson and now cutting another child's clothes. These are the ones I am called in about, I am sure he does other stuff too.
At home he is awkward about things but not really naughty plus his speech doesn't help so he gets frustrated.
He was really well behaved in nursery and with his CM so this is all new to me.
There are other naughty boys in his class and he seems drawn to them and I wonder if he is copying them? I suppose they look like they are having fun so he does the same.
I work in a secondary school and it strikes me that the naughty ones in year 7 are still poorly behaved in year 11, hence my OP.

YoungJoseph Fri 28-Feb-14 07:02:21

Yes, he's a summer baby.

BumpyGrindy Fri 28-Feb-14 07:23:02

The speech therapy is a good thing and shows the school are looking at the whole picture...have they found a reason for the poor speech? have his ears been looked at? It is worrying I know...my dd had some issues in reception.x

meditrina Fri 28-Feb-14 07:27:18

Yes, it can take a while. Here was one boy in DD's cohort who really didn't learn to control his impulses until year 2 or 3 (DD was one of the pupils who didn't mind his boisterousness, so we did see a fair amount of what was going on). I knew his mother too, no additional needs ever established - it just takes some children longer to mature than others and this is, unfortunately, what it can look like.

DeWe Fri 28-Feb-14 09:29:12

I assume you've had his hearing checked if his speech is poor.

Ds was like that in reception, about once a week there would be something. Year one perhaps about once every half term. This year (2) there's been one time of "horseplay" that was described as 6 of one half a dozen of another.

Ds has glue ear, and it really has effected his behavior. He can't hear properly in a noisy classroom, so he either switches off or has to concentrate extra hard which tires him out, which made him worse behaved later. They did him a behaviour book and very quickly it was obvious that his problems were lunch time (lots of noise) and afternoons later in the week (tired).

The more formal class set up suited him better in year 1, as in year R there were usually half the class or more playing, so he struggled to hear in a small group too.

littone Fri 28-Feb-14 21:04:29

Boisterous play sounds like my son! School were really good, had the lunchtime staff diverting him to the quiet area where one of them organised a game, trying to keep him and another child with similar behaviour issues apart as they egged each other on and got each other into trouble. They also rewarded him with stickers when he behaved at lunch time. He also had to visit the Head but tht didn't have any affect as in year R he hadn't worked out this meant you were in big trouble. He had a sticker chart too as that had worked well at home and nursery and class teacher happy to support. Instead of stickers for good behaviour we divided the day into sections and a sticker was removed if he dint behave. Very obvious to all his classmates if he had been naughty and the peer pressure of them coming out of school and telling me how many stickers he lost, did help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now