Talk

Advanced search

Lip tie discovered at 18 months! Help (x-posted)

(4 Posts)
GingerDoodle Thu 27-Feb-14 12:11:12

Hi everyone

This morning I was browsing and read a thread on tip tie - my DD's front teeth are through and I've noticed she has a lip tie and a gap between her front teeth!

I half issues breast feeding with my milk not coming in properly so mix fed so am not sure if it caused issues then or not however i'm very concerned over the potential impact now - does anyone have any experience?

TIA!

naty1 Thu 27-Feb-14 13:11:36

I dont know. But after reading this i took a look. My 20m old has a gap and tthe join is to just above/ between her top teeth.
Neither me nor DH have gaps but when i looked mine is similar to baby's.
My sis and mum have gaps and mum in law.
I did have probs with bf but persisted. Until weaned at over a year.
But baby also had soya allergy.
I have read lip tie often goes with posterior tongue tie.
Baby was v colicy which i put down to allergies would feed a long time always hungry (but eats a lot now) very fussy.
I dont think she was checked for TT as she gained weight v well and lost v little.
I am going to ask dentist as im going next week

SourSweets Fri 28-Feb-14 22:09:59

Exact same thing here (only mine is much younger). I'm taking him to the health visitor next week and dentist when I next go, maybe you could do the same. I'm sure if there was a real problem it would have been apparent from much earlier, but always best to get checked out to put your mind at rest.

sheeplikessleep Fri 28-Feb-14 22:19:29

Ds3 is 6 months and has upper lip tie.
He has had tongue tie snipped twice (first cut was anterior, secon was for posterior) when he was weeks old. I think (and I might be wrong) only a couple of consultants will snip lie tie - one in London, one in Huddersfield.
I spoke to the private midwife about it when she snipped ds's tongue tie. She said my DS has upper lip tie, but it is much rarer (in uk) for them to be cut and at the moment, it isn't seen as needed (but did say that practices change over time).
I believe upper lip tie can cause dental issues later on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now