Talk

Advanced search

Any last-minute tips for preparing 3yo for house move?

(9 Posts)
MiaSparrow Thu 27-Feb-14 10:05:35

We've talked extensively about how exciting the new place is going to be. Tried explaining that all our stuff will be going into a big van and will be in the new place when she gets back from her nana's (she'll be out of the way for a couple of days). We've bought her a play kitchen (to go in our new kitchen) that will be a surprise when she walks in...

Anything obvious I've missed? At times I think she really understands but then I think it is still quite an abstract concept for her. We move on Saturday. Eek! Thanks. x

HoratiaDrelincourt Thu 27-Feb-14 10:12:12

Set up her bedroom first when you get there, as similar to your old house as possible, and preferably before she gets there.

Give her a bag or case to put her special treasures in so she can get involved with packing and have a very physical assurance that stuff from the old house is turning up in the new house.

If I can think of more I'll come back. There were good tips in our What To Expect toddler book which I can see on the shelf.

MiaSparrow Thu 27-Feb-14 10:13:20

Ooh thanks Horatia. Good idea about the bedroom...

HoratiaDrelincourt Thu 27-Feb-14 10:20:37

Right... What To Expect says:

Tell her what's happening and be positive about it - check

Give her a preview: take her to visit the house if you can but certainly the outside and the local area, esp local shops/park/pool/walks you'd be likely to use a lot.

Share any ambivalent feelings you have about missing your old house so she knows that's normal and ok

Don't throw her things away as part of the move. Wait until she's settled in the new house.

Play moving games with dollies and teddies and cardboard boxes as houses.

Make sure she gets no less attention - big up her trip to nana's, ring/Skype/visit her often while she's there. In fact they suggest shipping her off could be counterproductive depending on her character.

Pack her room last and unpack it first.

Make no other changes, if possible - same toddler groups, nursery, etc if possible, don't start potty training if you haven't already, etc.

Let her explore in her own time.

HTH

slimyak Thu 27-Feb-14 10:27:42

I agree with setting up her bedroom first as similarly as her old room and the packing of her precious things. I'd let her have these with her so she can put them where she wants in her room.

We moved last year when DDs were 2.5 and 5.

I would add, give her plenty of time to explore, so not arriving just before bed, favourite tea and the familiar bedtime routine.

My two where really excited and got involved with the packing and unpacking, but there were still tears at times about our old house, and strangly our old, yellow, front door.

It's easy to get bogged down with the to do list of moving house, but make time to do the normal things with your DD, otherwise she'll see the new place as somewhere she doesn't get your attention.

Good luck and enjoy your new home!

Beastofburden Thu 27-Feb-14 10:30:31

She may not even notice at that age. Memories are short when you are three.

I did bribe mine with kittens when we moved aged 8,6 and 4. That worked.

atomicyoghurt Thu 27-Feb-14 10:34:11

Just let her explore when you get there. We've just moved with Dds 6, 4 and 3. The only one that seems bothered is the 6 yr old (we loved right across the country).

Just make sure her bed is there (our youngest still has lots of boxes in hers so don't panic about getting it just so).

Let her help unpack things like soft toys and books that she knows so she can show them the new house.

We also got a toy kitchen!

MiaSparrow Thu 27-Feb-14 12:51:14

Thank you all SO MUCH! Really useful advice. Luckily, we're staying in the same area so everything outside of the house will be the same for her. xx

Jollyb Thu 27-Feb-14 13:12:28

I expect she may surprise you and be excited about the adventure rather than upset. She probably has less emotional attachment to the house than you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now