Talk

Advanced search

Swimming

(9 Posts)
Taler Tue 25-Feb-14 20:43:55

Wasn't sure where to post this but just wanted to know your opinions on the best thing for my baby daughter to wear when going swimming.
I literally have no idea?!

GlitterFingers Tue 25-Feb-14 20:47:40

A swim nappy and a baby swimsuit

ColdTeaAgain Tue 25-Feb-14 21:16:53

Yes apparently swim nappy and swimsuit is fine as long as water warm enough. You can get little bodysuits made of neoprene which are meant to give them a bit more insulation if you feel they'll need it.

While on the subject of swimming, does anyone have any tips for taking a baby without having been to any classes? We plan to take DD for the first time soon, shes 9 months but bit nervous about it!

Taler Tue 25-Feb-14 21:23:39

Afraid not. Our DD is just coming up to 16 weeks and this will be her first time in a pool. My DH is taking her (as I'm not a confident swimmer) but he wants proper lessons as feels he would benefit more from being taught how to teach her.

FarToGo Tue 25-Feb-14 23:03:56

Pick a really quiet pool on a really quiet day or the noise could be quite overwhelming. Your little one may love a bath but swimming is a totally different sensory experience.
Do you have any local baby swimming classes? Even just to drop in once or twice to give you tips on how to handle baby in the water so you both have the confidence in future.
I really recommend proper baby swimming classes though, I've been taking my daughter since she was 9 weeks old and she loves it (almost 8 months now). My husband was really keen for her to do it as he is terrified of water (well anything bigger than a bath!)

cravingcake Wed 26-Feb-14 04:34:57

I dont think you need to bother with classes until they are about 18 months old. Until they become a bit more aware its all about building up their confidence in the water. Just simply bobbing about and singing a few songs to them, letting them splash and kick and gettin them used to the sensation is all you really need.

If you want to do classes for your own confidence or ideas then go for it but it makes no difference in their 'swimming' ability. My DS started classes not long before his 2nd birthday and was just as confident and able to do the same things as my friend doing the same class but they had spent £10 a week on lessons since their DD was 12 weeks old.

On a practical side of things be prepared to only stay in a short time (approx 15 mins) to begin with, and have a towel ready to wrap them in as they get cold quick. Other than that enjoy it.

AnythingNotEverything Wed 26-Feb-14 05:18:29

Those neoprene suits are great - they help them to float too.

Lots of pools expect you to double up on nappies.

ColdTeaAgain Wed 26-Feb-14 08:29:28

Thank you all, I'd love to go to classes but I don't drive atm the moment and the only one I've found on a saturday requires you to commit to a whole term of sessions and we can't do that. Also its something we'd like to do as a family and the classes seem to only allow one parent in per baby which is fair enough of course.
Me and DP are both confident in water, I think I'm just nervous that DD might hate it! I know of a nice warm quiet pool we can go to and will just stick to 15 mins smile

Mumstheword21 Wed 26-Feb-14 14:23:05

On the subject of what to wear, I know they are pricey (even on eBay!!) but the splash about all in one is truly amazing! My ds is 14mo and I had been swimming each week with dd1 and dd2 (now 4.5 and 3.5) and ds1 from 6 weeks old and have had every kind of outfit trying to stave off the cold...I just wish I had known about the all in one for the girls!

Basically it is fleece lined and I was worried about looking totally excessive in an all in one but actually it kept him warm and able to last 25/30mins rather than 10mins so we get out when he has had enough, not when he is cold!! They come up big too so last a while and my son has had every size so far after trying a standard 'shortie' wetsuit which didn't keep him particularly warm (as we go at least once or twice a week it's worth it!) so can highly recommend.

As other posters have rightly mentioned, 'lessons' are more for parents confidence and a social activity, actually dd2 is the only one that had lessons at 18months and ironically is the only dc who hates swimming and going under the water!

Singing to baby and lots of eye contact and smiles go a long way to help initial water confidence in my opinion...and regular trips!

Good luck...and enjoy it!!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now