Talk

Advanced search

6 month old refusing milk

(11 Posts)
MamaPingu Mon 24-Feb-14 15:39:37

Hello!

I'm getting a bit worried as my 6 month old isn't drinking full bottles (8oz) anymore and tends to take about half if that.

He was weaned at 5 months because of reflux. He eats his food nicely but is struggling with milk.

I've made sure the temperature is fine and changed his vari flow teats as they were letting far too much milk out.
Just tried him on fast flow teats and he tried at least instead of wriggling and turning his head. Not sure what to do!!

Think I should contact HV if he doesn't improve on the new teats over the rest of the day.

MamaPingu Mon 24-Feb-14 15:43:51

It didn't start when weaning started also, just the past week or two!

ilovepowerhoop Mon 24-Feb-14 15:44:19

how much milk is he taking in total? 20oz is the recommended minimum from 6 months to 1 year. you could always add extra milk to his food if he is taking less than that in drink form

ilovepowerhoop Mon 24-Feb-14 15:45:58

also do you give milk separate to food e.g. I gave milk first then food an hour or so later

MamaPingu Mon 24-Feb-14 15:47:41

He has 16oz at the moment and that's usually with as much added to food as I can.
So I suppose that's not drastically under the amount.

Do you think it's a big worry or my so much?

Im really hoping it's just the teats!

MamaPingu Mon 24-Feb-14 15:49:10

Yeah he has milk first too!
He's driving me wappy haha.

He's a big baby too so I worry he isn't getting enough milk for his size or is size irrelevant?

Gerty1002 Mon 24-Feb-14 15:52:03

Could he be teething? My DS did this on and off for a few weeks until the two bottom front teeth cut through. Other than that, if he struggles with teats has he been checked for tongue tie?

MamaPingu Mon 24-Feb-14 15:55:36

He has been teething on and off for a while yes! Sometimes he cries when it goes in his mouth so maybe it's irritating his gums?

He's been fine with teats since he was born so don't think it's tongue tie smile
It's just been lately, and he does occasionally have a full bottle so I bet it's teeth!

Thank you smile

Gerty1002 Mon 24-Feb-14 16:07:57

Maybe try teething gel or powder a little while before a feed, see if that helps smile

MamaPingu Mon 24-Feb-14 16:35:12

Thank you I will try before bed! smile x

Clarabell78 Mon 24-Feb-14 21:18:40

My ds did this from about 20 weeks.
It's still an issue tbh and he's 7.5 months. I tried everything. Got to the stage he would only drink when lying flat in the cot right before a nap/bedtime. It's not as bad now but he's still not that keen. He's now on 3
meals a day as I make sure I add plenty milk to his food where I can and give him yoghurt. He always followed the same line of the weight chart so I was told not to worry. Babies are very good at taking what they need which can be less than we would like. Try not to worry and most importantly don't force it. When ds refused bottle I took it away immediately without comment. Forcing him would only have made us both upset and caused a negative association for him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now