Talk

Advanced search

2yr old still not sleeping through!!!!!!

(20 Posts)
broodylicious Sun 23-Feb-14 21:57:28

Ladies, is there anyone else out there whose child still doesn't sleep through the night? Our dd is coming up to 2 and she's still waking at least three times, often more. She's in her own room, in a cot bed, has been since six months, she sometimes appears as though she's had a nightmare because she wakes up screaming and is very upset but most of the time it's like she just needs her mummy or daddy. I don't go out to work so luckily don't have to contend with commuting or bosses or a 9-5 shift every day but as I'm pregnant with dc2, I could really do with some good shut eye at night these days. We are hippy parents (don't like cry it out or controlled crying, we are fans of extended breastfeeding, like co sleeping) but is there any solution out there for us? Please tell me I'm not alone here?!?!

mawbroon Sun 23-Feb-14 22:07:15

You are not alone. dS1 was a horrendous sleeper and I am not going to tell you how many years old he was when he finally started sleeping through.

But, I later found out that he had undiagnosed tongue tie and bouts of apnoea which probably caused the sleep problems.

firstpost Sun 23-Feb-14 22:18:13

2.7 yr old here and never attempted sleep training. Ds arrives in our bed any time between midnight and 6am. Once in a while he sleeps through. smile We are 'path of least resistance' lazy style of parents. Hope he will figure it out himself in time.

tunnocksteacake Sun 23-Feb-14 22:22:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PeteHornberger Sun 23-Feb-14 22:22:47

You aren't alone, our 2.5 yr old still wakes-she did start sleeping through at about 18 months and then we moved house and fucked it all up, sleep-wise. hmm

She generally wakes 1-2 times a night and doesn't need much settling but it's not the same as unbroken sleep. She's always been an atrocious sleeper though, early wakings, the whole lot. 7-7 has NEVER happened.

It used to drive me bat-shit and I was v jealous of anyone with a sleeper, but am much more zen about it now, probably because getting worked up about changes naff all and I'm ever hopeful that it won't be like this forever...

TheScience Sun 23-Feb-14 22:25:48

DS started sleeping through at about 2.5, nothing that we did or didn't do.

Once he was 3 and dropped his day time nap he started sleeping 7-7.

elfycat Sun 23-Feb-14 23:25:47

DD2 was 2.5 before she slept through for the first time. She gave up her regular, reliable 3 hour naps at the same time (though still naps about twice a week for half an hour or so at 3.5).

She's now a 7-7 sleeper. Pity DD1 (5) never got the hang of early bedtimes as she seems to be a true 'owl'.

DC's sleep patterns and my need for sleep have been the hardest part of parenting so far. I was more of a rapid-return parent so would not often never hide my head under the pillow but rather sit on the nursery floor rocking DD2. Or worse, leaning over the cot rubbing her back (rub rub, patpatpat, rub) until I had a burning pain in my own back.

But for the last 9 months I have been able to get regular sleep. It does happen eventually.

Fletch049 Mon 24-Feb-14 08:41:54

my daughter is 2.4 and she still wakes up ends up in our bed as when she wakes its for an hour so I'm lazy n just put her in bed with us n pretend to be asleep so she gets bored quicker most the time it doesn't work and we talk about what she did during the day, shes a talker she doesnt stop even when shes asleep she talks. I'm hoping she will sleep through soon enough as the last couple of months we've hardly been home so messed up our routine good style.

longtallsally2 Mon 24-Feb-14 08:50:33

Another one here who could have written your post, and like tunnock, our ds1 slept through as soon as the baby arrived. He was a little older at 3.3, but went from having woken 3 times a night to being a good sleeper almost overnight. I do think that they pick up on your vibes. In later pregnancy I think that Dad tended to go to him when he woke and since it was me he really wanted he seemed to get the message. He also slept deeply through any night feeds once the baby was there which I hadn't expected.

With ds2 I finally cut out night feeds when he was 2.5 and he started sleeping through pretty well. He used to bring himself into our bed and self settle if he did have a nightmare or was cold - but he was a lovely still sleeper and I didn't mind at all. <Sigh - miss those snuggles now>

NinjaLeprechaun Tue 25-Feb-14 05:11:16

I'm afraid I don't really have any useful advice, but my daughter didn't start sleeping through until she was at least 5.5. (And, just for fun, she stopped napping around 14 months.) I tried everything short of drugging her but the sleeping coincided with her starting school, so I suspect that had something to do with it.

AmericasTorturedBrow Tue 25-Feb-14 05:47:25

DD is 2.3 and also a terrible sleeper. We're paying a sleep trained to help as I just can't cope anymore

Bumpsadaisie Tue 25-Feb-14 14:19:13

Mine is 2.4. Sometimes sleeps through but often wakes once or twice. He needs you to repeat what you did at bedtime (story, song, lights off). He just can't settle himself back to sleep in the night without it!

yawn.

goofygoober Wed 26-Feb-14 08:46:12

Our DS is 2.7 and has never slept through. He sleeps from bedtime for approximately 4 hours, then I put him in my bed. However, he turns around constantly, grinds his skull on my chest and sometimes rubs his feet in my eye sockets. I'm heavily pregnant now and deeply regret not addressing it sooner. Heaven knows how we're going to get on with another one. Attempting 'back to sleep' training rigidly this weekend, but fear I have left it too late. He will probably scream the place down until I give in through exhaustion. Extremely jealous of those with 7-7, never experienced this sad

AutumnMadness Wed 26-Feb-14 08:56:23

broodylicious, is your DD still boobfeeding during the night? My DS woke up 2-3 times a night when he turned 2 and the only thing that helped was knocking boobfeeding on the head.

broodylicious Wed 26-Feb-14 09:06:43

Thanks so much for your replies, really relieved to hear we are not the only ones with a crap sleeper!

autumn, no I haven't fed her in the night for about eight months now. I thought that would "cure" her if she understood there was no point in her waking but hasn't worked.

Her daddy goes to her at night now, she'd never settle if I went in because she would just want boob and cuddles.

Just hope it all settles pretty quickly! For you all too xx

BlueChampagne Wed 26-Feb-14 12:36:08

DS2 didn't sleep through till he was 2.5. On the plus side, he never went through the phase of getting up early like DS1 did. It came together all of a sudden when he got all his teeth, and moved out of his cot. Dry nights followed surprisingly soon after.

missrose Wed 26-Feb-14 20:31:59

I'm a hippy parent like you OP and never thought I would do it but after 2 and a half years of extreme sleep deprivation I did controlled crying. It was every bit as horrendous as I thought I would be. DD did start sleeping through though... for about three months. She now wakes around midnight and comes into bed with us.

DD2, 14months, is like a newborn. I am completely done in and have no idea what to do. DH is pushing for CC again but I can't bear to do that. The answer seems to be for me to go to bed at 8pm as well just to get a couple of hours in before the night hell starts. Good luck, hope it improves soon xx

TwoThreeFourSix Wed 26-Feb-14 20:41:08

DS is 2.5 and only sleeps through if cosleeping and even then its rare. I'm 6 months pregnant so we're trying to get him back in his own bed with varying success rates, not helped by a bout of sickness and lots if nightmares!

He's happy to go to sleep in his bed but cant settle when he wakes in the night. (3-4 times). Plus he only ever sleeps 9 hours, 10 if we're very lucky

We've persevering but if he's still bad when baby arrive we'll make him up a mattress in our room and get him to sleep with us. He definitely prefers company.

MmmIceCream Fri 28-Feb-14 08:12:59

Just watching with interest as my DS is almost 2 1/2 and still doesn't sleep through! He did for a while between about 8 months and 14 months, but hasn't apart from that fabulous time

broodylicious Fri 28-Feb-14 16:52:59

I think I'd find it more frustrating if dd had slept through for a while then decided not to bother, icecream.

Sadly I suffered a miscarriage yesterday so sleeping is the least of my worries today hmmhmmhmmhmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now