Talk

Advanced search

How to cope with toddler siblings fighting??

(4 Posts)
bouncychair Sun 23-Feb-14 20:58:23

DS is just 3 and DD is 15 months and they are already arguing over toys!

DS is quite boisterous and gets a bit over excited sometimes and does knock DD over without meaning too but equally he will snatch toys out of DD's hands. He also lashes out and hits her when he thinks I'm not looking. I obviously tell him off and use the naughty step as a last resort.

DD wants to play with whatever he has, and will take toys away as soon as DS's back is turned and run over to me with them. When DS does snatch something from her I tell him to give it back and to say sorry, but she loses interest the minute he gives it back.

I'm trying to be fair but I really hadn't expected to have to mediate between them so early on! Does anyone else have experience of this? I'm trying to get out of the house as much as I can because this only happens at home!

Davidhasselhoffstoecheese Sun 23-Feb-14 22:41:51

I think all physical hitting etc should result in time out. No exceptions.

Also teach them taking turns. And waiting for a turn. And asking for a turn when a child's finished. It doesn't mean they get a toy straight away but they will get it after a wait. You can practice this with specific items first, then roll it out into their free play.

RandomMess Sun 23-Feb-14 22:45:43

Use a playpen when you need to leave them unsupervised. Give your 3 year old appropriate vocab to moan about his little sister!

MiaowTheCat Mon 24-Feb-14 08:51:19

Mediating so early... that's late compared to my pair (11 months and 22 months). DD1 got a cuddly Mr Tumble the other day and proceeded to sit in the car making up a lovely "mine my mine mine mine" song with it to make sure she made her feelings on the subject FULLY known!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now