Talk

Advanced search

7 1/2 year old dd rapid weight gain

(6 Posts)
sambageeni Sat 22-Feb-14 19:45:14

My dd has always been very lean. She is a trampolinist and trains 4 hours a week and therefore is pretty active. She eats quite a bit due to expenditure of energy.

However, in the past few weeks I've noticed she's put on obvious weight and has noticeable breast development. She has been emotional lately and up and down moods. She also gets a bit wiffy down below despite washing regularly.

Is this all connected - hormones????

AwfulMaureen Sat 22-Feb-14 23:17:51

How much is "quite a bit"? 4 hours is not that much if she hasn't any other regular exercise tbh.

As a comparison my older DD is 9 and three dance classes a week.. plus riding her bike or walking to school in good weather (2 miles there and 2 back) and she doesn't eat an excessive amount...three meals a day generally...of normal portions, plus fruit...my other DD is almost 6 and does 2 dance classes, riding or walking and a gymnastics class...she also eats an ordinary amount.

The "breasts" could simply be fat sadly....and the wiff is not abnormal in an active child.

have you weighed and measured her recently? Worked out her BMI? If you're worried about the anxiety, have you spoken to her teacher to check all is well at school?

sambageeni Sun 23-Feb-14 19:03:16

She also dances 1 hr a week and swim club standard 1 hour a week. Walks to school and PE at school. I think that's a fair amount for a 7 year old. Far more than most.

sambageeni Sun 23-Feb-14 19:06:21

She's had 'breasts' since she was a toddler. We were referred and told premature thelarche. However, recently they are getting bigger.

BMI is in normal range. She's by no means fat but had put on weight in last few weeks. I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced a growth spurt following weight gain or whether it could be hormones at this age.

ProbablyCaroline Sun 23-Feb-14 21:20:33

By the sound of it you definitely need to see the doctor. Nobody on here can diagnose a hormone imbalance but she needs to be seen by a professional. I hope she's fine

Twighlightsparkle Sun 23-Feb-14 21:22:29

Second a GP visit, hope you get on ok

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now