Talk

Advanced search

4 yr dd with fear of nightmares - too scared to go to sleep

(7 Posts)
lu9months Sat 22-Feb-14 19:30:39

any ideas how to help my 4 year old dd who is having nightmares every night about 'a big massive spider walking into my room'? any attempts at reassurance etc are not working, and she is so scared she says she is trying to stay up all night with her eyes open so she doesn't see the spider. we have tried leaving lights on etc . help and advice greatly appreciated - we are tired and its horrible to see her so scared

HerrenaHarridan Sat 22-Feb-14 19:34:46

My mum used to tell me that the best thing about dreams was that taxis are always free and appeared whenever you wanted one so if I was ever scared I should just get in it and come home.

I don't know if that's helps you at all but it worked for me.

Other than that some dirt of talisman, a dream catcher or spider repellent.

Birds eat spiders does she have a stuffed bird toy?

lu9months Sat 22-Feb-14 19:38:01

thanks, all good ideas, will try them!

Whereisegg Sat 22-Feb-14 19:41:54

Make a Bad Dream Spray.

Little spray bottle, fill with water and lovely things such as petals and glitter.
Make up a little rhyme and spray liberally in her room at bedtime.

unlucky83 Sat 22-Feb-14 19:46:00

Just after DD1 started having nightmares (younger than your DD IIRC though) my friend gave her an artic fox stuffed toy...'foxy'...
Foxy slept with DD1 and frightened the monsters etc away - he was very fierce to anything scary, got very cross with them for scaring her and he looked after her at night ...he used to talk to me - almost unbelievably it worked ...she believed it and her nightmares stopped.
When DD2 started having nightmares 'foxy' came out again....and worked the same magic...
Maybe worth trying?

teenagetantrums Sat 22-Feb-14 19:50:08

We got my DD a dream catch at that age, told her it catch all her bad dreams, she believed it.My DD was also very scared of spiders so we made some 'spider spray' that would keep spiders away, that seemed to work.

teenagetantrums Sat 22-Feb-14 19:50:42

dream catcher even.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now