Talk

Advanced search

Toddler obsessed with lightswitch

(17 Posts)
CanIBeElectricToo Fri 21-Feb-14 19:27:24

Hi my 22 month old DD has taken a strong fancy to the light switch to the lamp in our living room. She heads straight to it every time we go in there.

I wouldnt mind her playing with it (apart from obvious risks of electrocution!) if she was enjoying it or looking at the shapes the light throws on the ceiling, but when she starts to click it on and off she just looks really vacant and almost seems to go in a trance. She would literally sit there for hours if I didnt distract her or move her to somewhere else.

Also, when shes in this 'trance' when I try to talk to her she jumps like I have scared her to death and often has a big meltdown.

Does anyone elses dc do this or did it when they were younger?

Sparklingbrook Fri 21-Feb-14 19:31:29

Hi Can. DS1 is 14 now so many years ago. We used to go to a toddler group at a church when he was about that age.
It had huge wooden doors with one of those big ornate keys. He used to spend the whole session wanting to turn the key. Next to the door was a fire extinguisher which he was very interested in too.

So the Play Doh. Lego, painting all shunned in favour of the door with the key in. sad

So it is possible it's just a phase. Have you tried taking the lamp out to see her reaction when it's not there?

nameuschangeus Fri 21-Feb-14 19:37:50

How about buying a light switch from B&Q or somewhere and just letting her switch that on and off? Then no danger and she might get it out of her system! Wouldn't work if she's actually interested in the light going on and off obviously but if it's just the switch flicking the enjoys it might.

Sparklingbrook Fri 21-Feb-14 19:38:42

YY or a child's torch?

nameuschangeus Fri 21-Feb-14 19:38:55

Don't distract her though, it might seem a nonsense activity to you but it's helping her to make sense of something!

CanIBeElectricToo Fri 21-Feb-14 19:38:57

Hi Sparkling your ds sounds exactly like dd! Her toys often go not played with as she would much rather just sit and bang the lid off her toy box on and off smile

She has just come out of an obsession with banging the toilet seat up and down, over and over again. I will try and move the lamp and see how she reacts thankyou.

I think she just likes to make noise!

CanIBeElectricToo Fri 21-Feb-14 19:39:57

A childs torch is a good idea! Thankyou will have a look.

Sparklingbrook Fri 21-Feb-14 19:40:42

He had a complete fixation with windmills at one point. We had about twenty in the garden. he used to walk down the line turning them all one by one. he loved it. smile

RegainingUnconsciousness Fri 21-Feb-14 19:43:11

DS is nearly 3 and will pull the bathroom light cord repeatedly if given half a chance.

I teach teenagers and there's at least one in every class who will turn a tap on and gaze at it, again given half a chance.

RegainingUnconsciousness Fri 21-Feb-14 19:43:53

Oh, and they all leap up to do the lights for the projector. So not sure when they grow out of it.

RubyrooUK Fri 21-Feb-14 19:44:27

We used to take DS1 to the electrical
shop near us as it had a big board with lots of unconnected, safe light switches and he was happy for hours. Also opening and shutting doors. He is now three and still loves a light switch but has definitely moved on. grin

Must take DS2 (11mo) to the electrical shop actually. He's just hit the light switch phase.

Sparklingbrook Fri 21-Feb-14 19:47:18

Do they still have the doorbell displays in B&Q? grin

CanIBeElectricToo Fri 21-Feb-14 19:50:11

That sounds like DDs idea of heaven! I must take her for a day out to B&Q grin.

Im only concerned because im frightened she blows herself up, I might unplug the lamp tomorrow then I will find out if its the switch clicking or the light she enjoys.

TartanBed Fri 21-Feb-14 19:58:03

My son was exactly how you describe. Grew out of it at now 3.5 yrs but still likes fiddly things! Just a phase

MiaowTheCat Fri 21-Feb-14 19:58:41

They all seem to get obsessed with something or other for a while. With DD1 she goes through alternate phases of it being a pastry brush that she'll carry around like some kind of magic charm and a rubber toy asparagus. She's also rather fond of turning washing machines on if people aren't on their guard.

God knows what's going through their heads sometimes - the children's centre staff often say they'd love just 10 minutes in DD1's mind to figure out what's going on up there when she gets herself set on something!

DameFanny Fri 21-Feb-14 20:01:17

If I could have somehow giftwrapped a small door in a frame for ds at that age I would have been super-mummy for years...

TheCountessOlenska Sat 22-Feb-14 07:02:16

ha ha this takes me back to the complete waste of money that was Gymbabies, where DD would ignore all the equipment and make a beeline to the fire extinguisher - every week for months !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now