Talk

Advanced search

Falling out of bed - aged 4

(7 Posts)
addictedtosugar Fri 21-Feb-14 14:20:59

Hey,

Wasn't sure which topic would be best, but DS1 is rapidly approaching 5, and is still in his toddler bed. His feet are about 6 inches off the end, and I'm thinking he'll need a full sized bed soon, BUT, he keeps falling out - maybe once a week we hear him thud out. He could well do it more often and me not wake up.
Due to the size of his room, ideally he'd have a mid sleeper / cabin bed so there are some drawers available, as well as a bed and wardrobe.
Is this a really foolish idea? Is falling out of bed an issue at this age? Anything we can do to teach him how to stay in bed?

Thank-you for reading and any thoughts or suggestions

mummyxtwo Fri 21-Feb-14 14:31:32

My ds1 is 5yo and has a full size single bed with drawers under it, but he has a bed rail. Not this one but similar

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Safety-First-Portable-Bedrail-Compact/dp/B002KO7E8U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1392993040&sr=8-2&keywords=bed+rails+for+children

He too would fall out of bed without it.

bcmummy Fri 21-Feb-14 14:46:07

My DS also used to fall out of bed quite regularly until about a year ago. He is 5 1/2 now and doesn't do it anymore. Never used to bother him anyway - he wouldn't even wake up! I think you'd be fine with a cabin bed though - don't all raised beds have built in rails all around the bed, apart from where the ladder is? That should keep him safe.

HerGraciousMajTheBeardedPotato Fri 21-Feb-14 14:54:28

Mid-sleeper beds always have guard rails, so falling out should not be a problem. You can also get cabin beds with guard rails, or you could fit a guard rail to the bed for a few years.

(Unless your ds is anything like my 7yo, who is not allowed to sleep in top bunks, because he lifts his legs right up in the air and flails himself feet-first over the guard rail. His siblings OTOH just roll around, so are perfectly safe behind a guard rail.)

addictedtosugar Sat 22-Feb-14 16:39:05

I'd not thought about them having solid guards.
Will that ever teach him how not to fall out of bed tho?

So, noone's telling me it's going to be a disaster....
Were not going to end up in A&E with broken bones from falling out of bed?

Fab. Thank-you.

Starballbunny Sat 22-Feb-14 16:59:43

DD2 is 12, she still occasionally falls out of bed, always has, her own double bed and various single beds on holiday.

DD1 says she's an absolute pain in a tent because she falls asleep on top of her.

She's asleep in a random heap on the sofa as I type this (half on my knee and I need the loo).

She has never suggested that, when visitors have her double, that DD1 has the camp bed and she has DD1s bunk wink

HerGraciousMajTheBeardedPotato Sat 22-Feb-14 17:21:49

Dc2 asked for the bed guard to be put back on her bed after a few months, because she was fed up of falling out and it worried her. She was about 5. At 11 she still sometimes falls out of bed, but not often, and it doesn't bother her. When mot in her own bed she has slept in mid-sleepers and top bunks since age 5-6, and has never fallen out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now