Talk

Advanced search

3 weeks old and nighttime stress

(8 Posts)
Doodle1983 Fri 21-Feb-14 08:32:23

My DS is three weeks old and only really cried if he's hungry or when he's naked. During theist week in the day he is awake more so we have been talking to him and entertaining him - the idea j read somewhere was to help him learn day and night. Mum came over yesterday to help out (had an EMCS) and sent me to bed for a couple of hours (lush). I gather that she held him all afternoon and shushed him to sleep. Then when DH came home from work 7pm he fed him and cuddled him to sleep for a couple of hours. Then throughout the night DS is wide awake ! I literally haven't slept more than 45 mins. He wasn't crying in between feeds just wide awake but when I put him down in his basket he would cry as if to say "I'm not sleepy".

Mum says that newborns should sleep constantly and that to stimulate him in the day is wrong. Is it ? Also any tips on making him sleep at night? I literally ended up holding him all night frightened id fall asleep and frightened if he'd cry he'd wake DH up!

Doodle1983 Fri 21-Feb-14 08:33:19

I should add that we are FF if it makes a difference ?

Atbeckandcall Fri 21-Feb-14 08:40:21

He may have been over stimulated in the day? It's always hard to tell at this age and at three weeks it's growth spurt time. Your DS probably needs around 16 hours of sleep I a 24 hour period (I might be wrong on this, it's been a while).
And if he's napped efficiently in the day, he will get there for nighttime, just remember 'sleep breeds sleep'. Good luck

DawnOfTheDee Fri 21-Feb-14 08:41:05

Babies sleep for approx 18 hours a day at this stage i think so there will be a lot of time during daylight hours when your lo is awake. I'm not one for waking a baby but you are right in that when your DS is awake it's a good idea to talk to him, put him on the play gym, etc. Don't go overboard but daytime is the time to be 'fun mum'.

When he wakes at night just do the necessary....feed, change, cuddle to sleep, etc. Keep lighting low and no more interaction than is necessary. Eventually he'll get the difference between night and day but it will take a while.

Congratulations btw x

DawnOfTheDee Fri 21-Feb-14 08:42:00

Oh yes - totally agree withAtbeckandcall about sleep breeds sleep. Good sleep in the day = good sleep at night smile

Bumpiemalumpie Fri 21-Feb-14 08:46:55

Hello, I have a three week old and had an emcs! he is more awake this week which is lovely. I have found he has started to understand day v night but I think that is because at 8am, even if we are still in bed blush , I open the curtains and talk and put the radio on.

We then have naps and feeds downstairs and then walks outside during the day.

They won't be sleeping as much now, around 14/16 hours but need clear stimulation.

I have signed up to the baby centre which is a great website that explains week by week. have a look.

Also, check out cluster feeders anonymous thread! we are mostly at the same stage and so exchange advice, whinges and experience!

Doodle1983 Fri 21-Feb-14 08:54:18

Fab thanks! How are you finding being out and about following the section? I have only been out twice with my DH - am just looking at buying a sling as was told not to push the buggy for a while and DS was low birth weight and too small for the carrier I've got..!

Bumpiemalumpie Fri 21-Feb-14 10:31:50

I have just started venturing out. I am now pushing the bugy as I am feeling well but only on pavement! I take it slowly and pace myself. I also spoke to the HV who said to just go to my comfort level.

I have a babasling which lo loves, he was also tiny so better in that kind!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now