Talk

Advanced search

Baby signing - how to keep this going at nursery?

(12 Posts)
u32ng Wed 19-Feb-14 10:14:46

DS has been going to baby signing class since he was 5months old & can do a few signs (and understand a heap more).

He's about to start nursery for 3 days & I want to keep the signing going & also tell the nursery what he can do so his communication isn't ignored.

Anyone else had this situation? How did you tell the nursery nurses about how to do the signs? I don't know it writing it down is best or if I need to make up something visual.

I'm also thinking a select number would be best rather than trying to give them a crash course of all the ones we know!!

georgesdino Wed 19-Feb-14 10:15:38

They will just do it with them anyway. No need to worry.

Cindy34 Wed 19-Feb-14 10:16:36

Some nurseries will do signing. Talk to the nursery staff, teach the signs if necessary.

Goldmandra Wed 19-Feb-14 12:09:26

You need to find a nursery that offers signing as part of the curriculum.
Unless your child's key worker will be with them an awful lot, it isn't very realistic to expect enough nursery staff to learn the signs.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 19-Feb-14 12:15:29

Unless he is hearing impaired, try not to worry, babies are very good at communicating when their needs aren't being met wink and nursery staff are usually trained and experienced. I don't think it's reasonable to expect staff to keep up the signing unless of course he is hearing impaired, and if he is then I think you should perhaps look into a signing nursery.

Pootles2010 Wed 19-Feb-14 12:18:25

Will you be at work whilst he's at nursery? There's a mum at ds's nursery who comes in once/twice a week to teach all the babies (and the staff!) signing, might that be an option?

u32ng Wed 19-Feb-14 13:37:46

Yeah I'll be at work pootles2010 so that won't be an option.

I didn't think it was unreasonable to pass on a few signs (one of the staff said they used to have a girl who did signing) but maybe I'll just pass on the signs he can do so that he's understood (and therefore happy).

Also, he's not hearing impaired. We started signing class as a social thing for him to interact with other children & mainly for the song-singing too. It's been great & DS loves that we know what he means when he signs so that's why I'm keen to keep it up as he's still a while away from speaking!

blueberryupsidedown Wed 19-Feb-14 16:11:33

I'm a childminder and have received training in makaton, many nursery workers will have received training as well. just write down the signs that he makes regularly, and the ones you would like the staff to carry on doing. It's not an unrealistic expectation.

Goldmandra Wed 19-Feb-14 22:00:52

If the nursery already offers this just check that they are used to the same signs as your baby. They should be but there can be differences so it's worth checking.

It would be unrealistic to expect a whole group of staff to learn it from scratch but this wouldn't be the case if they have already offered it for another child.

MiaowTheCat Thu 20-Feb-14 09:14:58

Every council-run early years setting around here has to use makaton to support spoken language so it might not be the issue you're thinking it will.

I'd tell the staff the signs you know he does to communicate basic needs as a starting point and see how it goes from there - in just the same sort of way you'd tip them off if you had an obscure family word for potty or whatever else!

Deliaskis Thu 20-Feb-14 11:27:01

My DD's key worker was really interested in her signing and asked me to show her some of the common ones. I didn't stand there giving her a half hour lesson or anything, I just showed her a couple of new ones every couple of days, starting with the ones DD used, and then a few she understood but didn't use, and also one that DD had made up for her comforter. Probably total no more than about 15 signs. It wasn't a problem, nursery were very keen to support in this way. DD also not hearing impaired by the way.

D

u32ng Fri 21-Feb-14 20:38:09

Well, I've started off with 5 main signs for now - 2 of which DS can do. Nursery key worker seems fine with that.

As he starts adding more signs to his repertoire I'll just mention this to them then. Easier to drip-feed 1 or 2 new signs a month than a whole bunch in one go!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now