Talk

Advanced search

Just about to turn 3....no sign of using potty

(9 Posts)
boredbuthappy Mon 17-Feb-14 01:24:42

We've tried without forcing but DS is straight up refusing the potty. He knows when he has to poo or pee and sometimes even tells us he's about to go...in his nappy. Any mention of taking off nappy to go on the potty sends him to hysteria. I'm worried we'll eventually end up with a 4 year old still in nappies. Any advice?????

stinkypants Mon 17-Feb-14 07:59:32

Bribery with a few mini eggs? Watch tv sitting on it and hopefully he'll forget he's there and do a wee
Leave nappy off and watch like a hawk.
See how long he can go between wees.
I would plan on a whole day at home.
Also I would just ditch the nappies apart from at night and get him excited about pants. Let him choose them to get him excited.
Both my boys responded well to chocolates!
Good luck.

stinkypants Mon 17-Feb-14 08:00:08

Bribery with a few mini eggs? Watch tv sitting on it and hopefully he'll forget he's there and do a wee
Leave nappy off and watch like a hawk.
See how long he can go between wees.
I would plan on a whole day at home.
Also I would just ditch the nappies apart from at night and get him excited about pants. Let him choose them to get him excited.
Both my boys responded well to chocolates!
Good luck.

BettyFlour Mon 17-Feb-14 08:13:55

Have to tried reading him a book about potties. Like Pirate Pete's Potty?

parched Mon 17-Feb-14 15:24:58

Get hold of Potty Training Boys by Simone Cave. It advocates a softly softly approach with short periods of pant wearing rather than the high pressure, all out tactics of Gina Ford (which if your DS is strong willed are likely to fail). Don't fret too much - I held off on potty training for ages because my DS had problems withholding poo and one day he woke up and said "I want to wear pants today" - they'll do it when they're ready.

mawbroon Mon 17-Feb-14 23:25:28

DS2 was like this which was a shocker after ds1 just trotted off to the potty himself at 2.5yo.

I waited until the school summer holidays with ds2 and we sat outside on a nice day waiting for him to pee.

He held on for 5 hours despite me giving him drinks. He did his first pee on the potty that day and realised that it ok.

There was a similar stand off about pooing on the potty. He would do it in his night time nappy as soon as it was on, so I knew he had complete control. I can't remember how the pooing came about.

Then there was a stand off about using the toilet rather than the potty. He ended up having to use the toilet because we were at somebody's house where there was no potty.

He is 4 in a couple of weeks and still wears a pull up at night, but he no longer poos in it. We planted bulbs in his potty so now he uses the toilet. He's got no option.

I am telling you this to illustrate how long it has taken to reach this stage. 7 months or so from 100% in nappies to just night time pull ups and toilet use, but there's not been much stress over it. We just took it at his pace. he's a stubborn lad!

SleepSleepSleepSleep Mon 17-Feb-14 23:41:54

I have exactly the same problem with my DD who is also three in a couple of months. I will wait for a while but have to do something about it soon!! Reading this thread with interest. She is very strong willed.

NightCircus Mon 17-Feb-14 23:44:56

New potty chair (larger and comfier to watch TV on). Felt like a fresh start too.
Sticker chart to earn a ride on toy- maybe up your motivator!

CointreauVersial Mon 17-Feb-14 23:46:21

You won't end up with a 4yo in nappies.

DS was similarly late; refused any suggestion that he might sit on a potty.

Then one day we had a day out with friends, and his two buddies of similar age were observed getting onto potties, visiting the loo and suchlike......He came home, dragged the potty out of the corner, sat on it and filled it, and that was that. No puddles, no accidents.....It was just when he was ready.

He'll get there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now