Talk

Advanced search

Baby at family wedding party

(8 Posts)
Ava1985 Sun 16-Feb-14 07:34:52

Hello! Not posted on here for a while but a little worried and need some advice from you lovely ladies...

We took our little boy to a family members wedding party last night (night time do only) and made sure we sat right at the very back away from the dance floor/speakers.

We were ready to leave after an hour or so as lo was getting tired as were we! The bride was stood right at the front dancing next to the speakers and didn't seem to be budging so I told dh I'd go and say goodbye.

Only thing is I still had hold of ds (11 mo) and stupidly didn't think and went over and stood next to the speakers with him to say goodbye to the bride. She then decided to have a short ish convosation with me about meeting up (around 5 minutes) and was hugging the baby etc so I couldnt get away from the loud noise for the duration of the convo and I'm now freaking out that it was too loud for lo's ears and iv damaged his hearing in some way!! sad

He's fine and he didn't cry or anything but I feel so guilty and stupid for not leaving him with dh sad

What does everybody think? We were stood about 3 feet away maybe more. And it was disco music not a live band if that makes a diff.

Thanks x

Beanymonster Sun 16-Feb-14 07:54:58

I think you'll be okay, if anything had happened I'd have assumed he would have cried or something? See how he is over the next week and if his hearing seems to be off maybe a quick trip to the doctors?

I probably would have done the same thing and not even thought about it!

Ava1985 Sun 16-Feb-14 08:42:52

Thank you Beany. My dh says that im over analysing the whole situation but I just wanted to see what other parents think about it!

There were other kids there (some not much older) toddling around and dancing on the dance floor and im pretty sure the parents aren't worrying about it like I am so im clinging onto the hope that it can't be that bad otherwise people wouldn't take childre/babies to party's at all.?!

heavenstobetsy Sun 16-Feb-14 08:49:35

i really, really wouldn't worry about this - it would have to have been incredibly loud (like explosively loud!) to cause immediate damage ...... otherwise it's prolonged (i.e. months/years) exposure to loud noise that causes deafness.

Your DH is right, you are over analysing this hugely. try not to worry x

Ava1985 Sun 16-Feb-14 09:21:10

Gosh that has made me feel so much better Heaven. Thank you so much!

I think all my sense of logic has gone to pot since having the dc! (I have a 3 yr old too so you would think I'd know better than to flip into panic mode over certain things! )
mI'm so greatful for the advice from you both so thanks again x

GingerDoodle Sun 16-Feb-14 11:39:54

You are really over thinking it. My DH is in a a band and i've taken our DD to his gigs and some rehearsals since she was 3 days old. We used to have ear defenders but since she turned 11 months she just takes them off. She loves sitting under his feet when he plays at home right next to the amp!

roweeena Sun 16-Feb-14 19:22:18

Don't worry, really doesn't sound it like that would be an issue

PansOnFire Sun 16-Feb-14 23:03:06

Oh I really feel for you, I did something similar with my then 5 month old. He'd fallen asleep so I'd left him at the table in his pram with my aunt looking after him. There had been a draft (outdoor marquee) so, with the best of intentions, they'd moved tables. The one they moved to was right under a massive speaker and he was there for a good 10 minutes before I realised. I convinced myself I was worrying for nothing but I was so worried for ages, he's 14 months and as far as I can tell his hearing is the same as it always was. It's hard being a mum! It's not an issue, but I know how hard it is not to worry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now