Talk

Advanced search

Dummy - 28 month old

(20 Posts)
c0vb1rd Sat 15-Feb-14 19:42:56

Hi just thought I'd share my current experience with mumsnet for those who might be in the same situation. My dh decided on Thursday morning that he would say to my dd that the birdy should probably take her dummy as the birdy babies need them to my suprise dd agreed. Dd only has it at nap or at night so wasn't to concerned. Thursday night of course she asked for it and we reminded her birdy babies had them and our older dd (5) didn't have one she was a big girl. seemed okish until the night where she got up 6 times want really crying more whinging so kept the routine and reminded dd of birdy. Friday lunchtime is usually nap time but couldn't get her to nap at all so gave up. Friday night she slept smile and right now she did ask for it again and we stuck to story so let's see what happens tonight! wish us luck there is no going back now!!!!

suedehead Sat 15-Feb-14 21:25:09

Hi c0v

Thanks for sharing that. I am in the same situation! DS is 33 months, and only has his dummy for sleeping, but he's started waking in the night just to ask for his dummy and it's driving us mad! We decided the time had come to ditch it. Coincidentally, I accidentally went out without it on Friday and he managed to have a quick nap in his pushchair without it, so we decided now was as good a time as any as he could clearly manage it once he stopped pouting about having to get to sleep without his dummy!

Last night was our first night without it. He woke once (an improvement) but it took him about half an hour to settle back to sleep. He's settled a bit easier tonight, so fingers crossed the waking stops altogether!

Good luck to you too!

LowCloudsForming Sat 15-Feb-14 21:26:51

A dummy is a substitute - ask yourself what it is substituting? She'll woo forget it as long as it is replaced with affection and attention.

Mummyjetsetter Sat 15-Feb-14 22:33:01

But affection and attention shouldn't be given in the middle of the night. That's where night feeds get ridiculous because babies over a few months old simply want them for comfort not hunger. Dummies help break the habit but become a habit in and of themselves. I think you've done the right thing, I waited until my ds was almost 3 then bribed him at Christmas so Santa took them and it was fine. x

LowCloudsForming Sat 15-Feb-14 23:47:47

There are ways to give attention and affection that are comforting without giving food. I understand that this is a difficult and sensitive area, but there are ways of tackling this.

c0vb1rd Sun 16-Feb-14 09:08:10

Thanks for the replies glad im not the only one smile last night was good dd got up once dh said she was looking for her teddy smile I'm quite impressed I have to say - so for all of you who are dreading it - it might be worth a go.

findingherfeet Sun 16-Feb-14 21:07:01

Thank you for this, hands up I'm dreading it!!

Jaffakake Sun 16-Feb-14 21:10:26

Taa, ds is 28 months & I'm dreading it too! His dummy obsession seems to be increasing & he's starting to stash them places! Today, at least, I was able o get him to keep it in his pocket -previously it was sleeps only.

c0vb1rd Sun 16-Feb-14 22:45:24

jaffakake - feel your pain - we found giving dd a choice and some control helped so sort of leading her to the decision. ie. in the morning when she woke we said thank you for your dummy and let her hand it over....we have also waited until she stopped teething as noticed it helped a alot. also she is with a childminder 4 days and cm stopped giving a dummy for pushchair naps months ago so that has helped and my dh got her to have a nap today without any mention of dummy. dh told her, her teddy need a nap and it seem to work! my dh features heavy in times of change because she really really plays up for me! lol

MiaowTheCat Mon 17-Feb-14 12:03:25

We've had to do it this week as DD1 has started chewing them and popping them so it's no longer really safe to let her have them (and I've been saying for a while I wouldn't replace any popped ones).

She's harder to settle to sleep but hopefully that phase passes soon - of course I've probably jinxed this coming nap time now.

purplebaubles Mon 17-Feb-14 12:05:46

Why do people say 28months? 33 months?? Surely, your child is just 2 1/2 or nearly 3?! grin Or are they always going to be aged in months? grin

MrsFlorrick Mon 17-Feb-14 12:10:22

I bribed mine with guinea pigs. hmm It's work a charm and was without any tears. Although I now have 2 guinea pigs to look after....

c0vb1rd Mon 17-Feb-14 12:49:47

PB - because months make me feel like she is still little - 2 1/2 sounds older - thats my logic anyway confused

c0vb1rd Mon 17-Feb-14 12:51:43

mrs florrick - blimey! shock

purplebaubles Mon 17-Feb-14 15:05:15

ha I guess. ! My DD is just one. She'll be one til she's two!

c0vb1rd Fri 21-Feb-14 12:02:56

thought I'd add an update on the basis that when I search on threads sometimes you wonder 'I wonder what happened next'. its been a week and dd has done well she has completely come off the dummy for both daytime and night sleeping. she does occasionally mention it but normally when she is very very tired and I just remind her about tbe birds and she seems to be ok. hope this helps others.

Nellie2477 Sun 02-Mar-14 02:57:05

Thanks for this post - I am one who is dreading it even though it is my DS2 and it was so easy with DS1! For him, we just took the opportunity that one had broken and told him the trash truck (which he was obsessed with at the time) had taken them away. We had one night where he cried and asked for it and I felt like an awful mother but then he was fine. He was about 22 mths. DS2 is now 26mths and he was down to 1 which should have been the last... But we panicked as we relocated just after Christmas to the US and we thought we might need some more as back up given the stress of the move. He now proudly carries about all three. I don't know when it is fair to start thinking of taking away given the huge upheaval that has just happened in his little life. I don't like that he still has it but he is REALLY attached... Any non-judgemental advice appreciated!

MiaowTheCat Sun 02-Mar-14 08:10:40

Months thing... DD1 is 1 year old, DD2 is 1 year old this month - but there are 11 months between them. There is a whole WORLD of difference between the pair of 'em.

c0vb1rd Mon 03-Mar-14 22:31:57

nellie2477 wow that is big moving not just house but country id be thinking whats the rush - no rush - as you said its alot for anyone so take your time im sure it will work out in the end...good luck x

Nellie2477 Tue 04-Mar-14 04:29:25

Thanks c0vb1rd, and with the rest of the chaos going on in our house with my other son I am not going to subject him to losing his comfort prop just yet. X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now